Christmas killed off; By on-line shopping?

Whenever I have wanted something, usually from Amazon on the Prime next-day delivery facility, I've gone ahead and ordered it.

Now, my wife is in a tizzy because she cannot find anything to put in my Christmas stocking.

I might have to make do with a chocolate Father Christmas!

Reply to
gareth evans

or an orange and an apple like we used to get ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Is that a euphamism?

Reply to
R D S

Cool isn't it. When stepdaughter was in the hospice with terminal cancer we had some stuff primed to her that arrived the same day.

Are you both 'religious' then OOI?

And why not. Given most of us can generally have what we want, when we want it, it seems a bit silly to continue the tradition///////habit of wasting time, money and resources by giving other people things they often don't need or want just 'because'?

We have managed to cut the Xmyth cards down to nearly none (and have sent none for 30 years (waste of paper, cardboard and postage)), don't waste time and money with any decorations or on buying stuff for others who pretend to be thankful ... before sticking it in the charity shop in the new year (for the very reason you site).

Not to say that we might pass the greeting 'Happy Christmas' at the right time / place (mostly out of politeness) but we really don't feel the need to get caught up in all the commercial bastardisation of it.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Exactly, 'a token' to celebrate the event (if that's your thing) that it's both healthy and vegan. ;-)

Actually, I think, as a kid I spent more time being creative with the cardboard boxes than I ever did most of the presents (except Meccano / Lego of course). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have a cardboard box fetish because of that ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Does it really matter that much? I mean, surely love is enough? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You have been listening to too many Bob Rivers Christmas albums obviously! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes, I normally make a donation to charity, usually an unusual one, as I feel that may just do somebody some good. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

A very good point, Jim, from the days when the only time there would be any fresh fruit in the house would be at Christmastide.

There'd be a neat bowl of fruit on the table, but you weren't expected ever to help yourself to one!

In sharp contrast to today's weekly shop where I bought grapes, bananas, nectarines, clemetines, oranges and pears.

Not apples, though, as we've a glut this year from the couple of espaliers in the back garden.

Reply to
gareth evans

I always thought Santa operated in the cloud anyway :-)

Reply to
Scott

Commendable Brian. We do the same, often to the Isabel Hospice in lieu of the Xmyth cards we don't send.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Religion is the world of make-believe and IMHO anyone who immerses themselves in make-belief is a certifiable loony.

But where the rest of us have historically been oppressed into Christianity they can hardly complain when we retain their name for the Saturnalia!

Most hypocritical is the organisation of Christianity where there is widespread disobedience of the ruling not to have any graven images; witness the world-wide hand-wringing that followed the fire at the cathedral of Notre-Dame, or the Roman Catholics with their statues of the "Virgin".

</BEE IN THE BONNET>
Reply to
gareth evans

I do not support any charities at all because whereas those who do, do so from the best, but misguided, motives, any charity work enables the government to Welsh**** on its responsibilites to the Welfare State.

***** Habitual racism to myself there! Dw I yn dysgu siarad Cymraeg.
Reply to
gareth evans

I'm not sure that Amazon can really be blamed. For some time I have been in the fortunate position that if something small appeals to me, after rigorously investigating the options, I can buy it. If it is too expensive for this solution, then it is out of the scope for presents.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Which is what the voters want, given the large Tory majority.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not all charities replace the welfare state.

Reply to
charles

The word is welch.

Reply to
Radio Man

If you don?t share the belief don?t celebrating the festivals is hypocrisy.

Reply to
Radio Man

No, the word is English. If it were Welsh, it would be Cymry.

Welch is a variant spelling of Welsh, in English, at least.

Reply to
gareth evans