on-line shopping and deliveries

Do people check off the items one by one - or merely take the stuff and later realise something is missing?

Reply to
JohnP

Accepted as a job lot. Assuming you are talking about supermarket deliveries. They may substitute or omit items due to availability depending on your choice but the packing list always shows exactly what is there.

The only exception I have known is for the odd bottle of whisky to escape from their system with its security tag still attached.

Other goods from Amazon are inside up to two other cardboard boxes with a host of soft packing materials. Unless the outer packaging is badly damaged and the contents are fragile I would generally accept as is.

Reply to
Martin Brown

We check them all and tick them off the list. There's often a damaged item or two.

Sometimes a whole crate of stuff is missed by the delivery driver. After the first time we noticed this, we started ticking off all the items.

Reply to
GB

GB snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com wrote in news:rp3ldd$kr7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks - only trivial stuff missed but I got the bollocking for not ordering SWMBO's Fruit Corner Yoghurt. I found I had done - so the bollocking has shifted toward not checking. However we did get a refund for

6 eggs because one was broken and I showed it to the driver.

So they don't mind you checking in the items against a list? (Sainsburys)

Reply to
JohnP

Morrisons have always unquestioningly accepted my reports of shortages and breakages and have refunded.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Sainsbury pretty good like that too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's been a few years since I used them but I had no problems with Tesco except the Eastern Euorpoean drivers thought they had to get in and get out as quickly as possible whereas the English ones had more patience while I checked things.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Neither. Never any slots available! Luckily we are close enough for it to not be an issue but it seemed sensible to ensure we have the option in case of self-isolation or whatever.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

'Sainsbury's' are pretty good ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We do the checking after the driver has been.

Reply to
GB

Daughter did her first on-line order from Asda the other day, especially to try their extended vegan lines.

They missed that she has specifically requested the 'No substitutions' option for obvious reasons (and of course they did substitutions and with non-vegan versions). When she spotted them as they were delivered the guy was happy to take them back and she was refunded.

The problem (for the pickers) is it's not obvious why something is or especially isn't vegan, just because it doesn't contain meat, egg or milk isn't always enough (as I learned from Adam with the UK brewed Fosters lager using isinglass (fish swim bladder) in the clearing).

I think she mentioned there is a 'vegan only' filter that would (should) only display the vegan offerings but that could only work properly if they have categorised it all properly (like included all the fruit and veg etc).

And it's not just foodstuffs of course, 'Not tested on animals' with cosmetics and other products and anything made from leather with gelatin.

She had had little issue with the likes of Pizza deliveries but the other day checked over a flyer from a 'Chicken shop' she was about to throw in the recycling and noticed they were doing some vegan stuff. Wanting to both give them a try and support their new range she ordered a couple of mains and some deserts.

It took 90 minutes to arrive so the hot food was cold and what should have been 'vegan chicken nuggets (so typically Quorn or a chicken substitute) were actually just 'vegetable nuggets'. The sweet was very nice though. She sent them a polite email both pointing out the expectation issue re the 'nuggets' and complained about the delivery delay ... and the next day got a phone call from the manager of the shop, very apologetic, asking if she would give them another chance and explaining they were completely overrun because of the demand for the vegan meals! He offered her a full refund or if she would give them another chance, the order would be on them. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Most check it while the driver is there, if they are sensible, at any rate! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Something smells like bull shit - probably the vegetable chicken nuggets cooked in the same oil as the real chicken!

Reply to
alan_m

Didn't the Chicken Shop, or Asda, provide you with a 10,000 page guarantee of what the future for your deliveries were going to be like? After all, you demanded much the same for Brexit and switching energy suppliers, I thought this was routine for you.

Reply to
Spike

Most Quorn products are not vegan and the vegan ones aren't particulary nice, the non-vegan are better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Potentially only the reason part but people *are* into reducing the suffering of animals and hence why there is so much movement and support of veganism these days.

Similar, when she was in a supermarket she overheard a lad, picking stuff for his Mum, commented on 'why is there so much vegan stuff here ..?', thinking that everyone couldn't eat a vegan burger bun (as that's what she saw him then pick up and then also got herself).

And?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But many are (and they are the ones we buy of course).

We find them fine, especially compared with something that requires a chicken to have it's life taken by being gassed / electrocuted and having it's head cut off. We just don't see animals as food or a product to be exploited.

I guess it all depends what you are expecting?

When we first started buying Sainsbury's 'white label' instead of Heinz baked beans (because they were vastly cheaper and we wanted to experiment with price / taste / function) we noticed they were different. The haricot beans were still haricot beans of course, it's just there were slightly fewer beans in the white label and more sauce and they did taste slightly different. Checking the ingredients of both, the white label contained less sugar and salt so that meant they were also better for us. It wasn't long before the taste of the white label beans became the norm.

So if you are interested in considering change, be it to support Fair Trade, vegan, better value or healthier options, there may be a change in format or taste but all you are doing (in most cases) is just undoing what you have *learned* to consider 'normal' and replacing it with a new 'normal'. ;-)

Like this:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Virtue signalling.

Reply to
Spike

Fungi are alive too! Their fruiting bodies don't want to be eaten.

Many have spectacularly effective toxins in to discourage browsers. Some of the most toxic taste really good which can be misleading.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Just happend to grab a Sainsbury's delivery slot this morning(*). Of the 47 Quorn products they have available just 8 are vegan.

Niether do I, haven't eaten dead animal for 27 years, but if it came down to me or a chicken in the yard, sorry chicken you're on my plate by my direct actions. I know I can kill 'cause I've done it, either to put an injured creature from mouse to adult rabbit out of it's misery having lost an agrument with cat or car. Or and probably more relevant as there is was element of being "humane", literally squashed the living breath out of a juvenile rat with a jar at the back of a kitchen cupboard.

Well that's hardly surprising Heinz are well known for loading their beans with sugar. There is a difference betwwen "different" and "not nice".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice