A three-year-old boy has died after a stone fireplace fell on him at his
home in Motherwell. The self-assembly fireplace bought 18 months ago came
free from its fixings and crushed Kieran Davidson on Sunday. The boy was
taken to Wishaw General Hospital, but doctors were unable to save him.
The tragedy comes just five months after a three-year-old girl was badly
injured in a nearly identical incident at her home in County Durham. It led
to home improvement centres across the UK being alerted to possible dangers
from fireplaces installed using a gypsum-based adhesive.