Anti-tip necessary for stove?

Moved into a new construction house, and find the anti-tip bracket sitting around in the kitchen. Isn't it "code" or something to always install this?

Reply to
jeffc

Other than the admonition that all appliances are to be installed according to the manufacturers instructions, their is no code that specifically addresses the anti-tip bracket.

At least none that I can find. That anti-tip bracket is there to protect the manufacturer and their insurance companies more than anyone else. If you have small children, I would probably put it on, since you have it.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I fyou have kids they're more likely to burn themselves with matches or break their skull in a bike accident than pull the damn stove over. My brother once pulled the console TV down, in the forward direction that is. Many years later my mother managed to pull a 24" tv down on top of her. They don't make tv/wall attachy brackets tho.

Reply to
roger61611

Come on aren't we humans smart enough to know that tipping a stove is stupid, dangerous, stupid oh I said that already. I have pictures of when I was a kid where there is a open gas hot water heater next to my high chair. Right there in the kitchen. I would hope that you have the intelligence to train any human less than driving age that tipping a stove is.............. see above.

When I sold my last house this year that was one of the dings that the Home infector found. (spelling intentional). I laughed, and ignored it.

If I lived in earth quake country I would consider one on a gas stove. Not on electric.

Reply to
SQLit

Check the stove. If you pull out a rack and put a 20lb turkey on it, does it become unstable? Mine does. I installed the bracket

Reply to
Jmagerl

I always install mine. It only takes 2 minutes and the peace of mind is well worth it.

Most stoves are pretty light and flimsy. Try opening the door and push down on it-- my stove tips real easy without the anti-tip bracket.

It is easy to install and prevents potentially a great deal of heartache.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

On Sun 12 Jun 2005 08:48:28p, Oscar_Lives wrote in alt.home.repair:

I agree, it's a good idea to install it. A roaster with a 25 pound turkey set on the open oven door could easily cause the range to tip.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

This is Turtle.

Let me paint you a picture here. You have your kids and / or some kids of friends come over for a get together and you just cooking some stuff on the stover and the kid pulls the oven door down to stand on it to see what is cooking on the stove. he stands on it and all the boiling water and food pours on him and then your off to the State Burn clinic for work on skin graphing for the next 10 years or so + the pain the kid will put up with because it was a little trouble putting a Anti-Tip device on your stove.

If this happen at your home, the cost will run sometimes to about $500K or better in insurance cost and do you have enough insurance to cover it if it happens ? If you don't have the coverage, I would install the bracket.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

While the braclet is a good idea, neither your wife nor the neighbors kids can see it or know it's there. I prefer a 'third leg' on the door that swings down as you oipen the door. It's obvious it's there and always works when some moron stands on the door. It's saved the hinges on my dishwasher many times when my teenager overloaded it.

Reply to
Nick Hull

As Turtle mentioned, there's a reason why it is required by code. It's an obvious safety issue.

When we built our house, that was one of the first things the inspector checked for during our final inspection. I'm surprised your house passed inspection with the bracket just "sitting around".

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

You're missing the point. The point is not whether I think the bracket is a good idea. The question is whether or not I should call the builder and hassle him to install it, or I should take my precious time to do it.

Reply to
jeffc

That's your call. It'll take about 15 minutes to install the bracket (including the time to get out / put away the tools). IMHO, you'll be out more time than that "hassling" the builder and waiting for him (or one of his subs) to show up and install the flippin' bracket.

Reply to
Andy Hill

You make no mention of this in your original post which you quote above.

And you probably could have installed the bracket in the time it took to post about whether or not the bracket was required by code :-).

Reply to
Luke

Does the builder realize how this oversight can endanger THE CHILDREN? The dear CHILDREN! THE CHILDREN who are our future!

"It happened so fast. My son, who is an HONOR STUDENT and Cub Scout, was trying to help me in the kitchen when all of a sudden the oven tipped forward and crashed right down over him! How can homebuilders be so careless to design a home like t his? Don't they have children themselves?"

Never pass up an opportunity to annoy, give ulcers, or get cash. I'd insist the builder pay for a thorough check of the whole house an independent inspector because after all, who knows what other oversights they may have made that could endanger THE CHILDREN? But I'd settle for $50.

Reply to
Norm De Plume

Notwithstanding that the chance of that is poor, let me be harsh. Any kid that would pull the oven door down to stand on it, must have extremely incompetent parents or parents that are just plain stupid and have passed that on to their children. Probably better for the human race in that genetic line is stopped. May be it will only burn his balls off.

But let's say you do install the stove antitip, the kid will just reach up and pull the boiling water down on him. Or, he will be be in the garage sniffing glue and burn down the house.

BTW, I have never heard of a stove anti-tip bracket before this thread and I have never seen a stove that didn't just slip in and out of the stove space. Oh, never heard of a stove tipping over before either. Next thing you know they will have an anti-tip bracket for smoke alarms.

Not a criticism of you Turtle, just seemed like a good place for a little rant.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Your teenager stood on the dishwasher door?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Apparently you haven't used a new stove lately. The new ones aren't 400 lbs like the old ones were. The new ones are very light and tip over very easy.

I'll bet you don't wear your seatbelts either.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Oscar_Lives wrote: ((snipped))

Gees, I must be isolated. In addition to never having heard of anti-tip brackets for stoves, I also had no idea that stoves now have seatbelts.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

This is Turtle.

The picture I painted for you should have told you that it should be on there at any cost.

If you was asking us on the internet weither you or the builder should fix it. hey, we don't know your skill levels or we could have told you right off.

Now first i would take a few minutes to see if i could do it and if not. I would call the builder to come install it. Now I have a feeling that it will not get put on so don't worry for there is over 52 Shriner's Children Burn hospitals over the 50 states which will treat the kids that get burned this away for free. any child under the age of 18 will be treated free of charge for any Being Burned , accident , heart transplant, or defect of any kind. The two biggest problems with children now a days is being burned or Phyical defects when being born. The Babys being born to Crack Mother and having the child with physical defects is growing almost as fast as children are being burned, but burned children is still number 1 problem with children.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I have the skill level. The specific question I was asking was "Isn't it "code" or something to always install this?". The builder is coming back to fix certain things, and I'd like to know from you guys first - if he tells me installing this bracket is "optional", I want to be confident when I tell him he's full of crap. The bracket will be installed one way or another. I'm gather info for our conversation. Some other things were not done correctly, and I'm wondering if this is one of them.

Reply to
jeffc