Can I disable alarm

I am painting a friends house where there is a Avitras alarm burgular alarm which she never uses .. and does not have the code anyway to set it.

Yesterday carpet fitter came and chopped through t he wires hidden under the stair carpet.

The only alarm that sounds is the one in the keypad.

Wires were joined back together but alarm kept going.

Owner is away for another two weeks and she asks can we just disable it. The self employed carpet fitter said he would get a leccy mate to look at it. In the meantime I just tried punching in code 1234 .. and it stopped ringing! So I cancelled the leccy mate. So far so good. But now everytime someone goes upsatairs the sensor triggers the alarm .... not the downstairs sensors.

Can I cover the sensors to make them inoperative ? Is there a simplistic way to deactivate the alarm until the owner returns and sorts out a code ?

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike2

dear burglar mike, its probably got a mains input and batteries. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:48:28 +0000, "george [dicegeorge]" hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Yes it has. Pulled the fuse before opening the system box and then disconnected battery (well the carpet fitter did) and it shut up for a minute, then reverted to its merry chirping.

That does not make sense ! Perhaps I should do that routine again myself. The owner never used the alarm since she moved in (no code anyway)

3yrs ago as she had a dog until a few months ago.

Of course the self employed carpet fitter is not answering his phone now !

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike2

there must be another battery.

i sugget you post the model number etc, maybe a photo, then when the experts get here this evening they can advise you better than me.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

In the bell box outside?

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:46:03 +0000, "george [dicegeorge]" hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

This thing has taken over ... I pulled the fuse for the system box ... switched off the mains and thought . now I gotcha. I opened the system box and disconnected the battery .. warble warble warble .. lol.

There is no product code on the keypad .. will look elsewhere. Thanx for the input anyway.

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike2

Yes.

Reply to
gb

Try disconnectin the mains to the panel.and take the battery out of the panel.

The external sounder should activate for 20 mins, then stop.

Reply to
John Smith

unless they're anti-masking (unlikely unless it was originally a high spec system).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It happens that george [dicegeorge] formulated :

There will probably be one in the bell box up on the outside wall.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:48:29 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Well it might be a high spec .......... I tried gaffer tape ... nope ... I taped a whole packet of vyella dishcloths over it ... no joy ....

Carpet fitters leccy mate is ringing later ... will see what he comes up with. Failing that I will try some of the suggestions that have been mentioned. Keep you posted.

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike2

The wires are usually 4 core - two being an anti-tamper circuit. I wonder if that needs to be reset with an "Engineer Code"?

Reply to
John

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:29:25 -0000, "John" hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

You could be right, because on the keypad there is a green light .. On .. and a red light which says Tamper under it .. that is On also. If I key in 1234 everytime the alarm triggers, it does shut the internal alarm off , so i think that is the "Engineer Code" from default.. The outside alarm only goes off when I disconnect the battery in the system box.

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike2

That is normal.

Disconnect the power to the alarm panel from the baterry and the mains and just wait until the bell box battery dies.

About 10 minutes and the whole system is dead.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

on the building. If you have disconnected from the mains (I think this trickle charges the battery) then eventually the battery will give up but could take a long time.

Reply to
SS

Sometimes the Engineer Code is the reverse of the User Code

Reply to
John

How sure are you that it is the PIR sensor that is activating the alarm? When I had my system tested for false alarms the guy just taped a few layers of bin bag material over the PIRs and set the system never went off in a week, but he managed to sort it!. Are you sure there isn't a pressure pad somewhere?

HTH

John

Reply to
John

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:42:28 -0000, "John" hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

99% sure. All the carpets have been up. I can get it to trigger in different places. 1234 will stop the internal buzz .. the external never goes off unless I unhook the battery in the system box. The Tamper light never goes out and it flashes until I punch in 1234 and then the reset button .. then it goes onto steady red. The sensor will still trigger.

I can as suggested kill the feed to the external battery .. disconnect the internal battery .. and let it ring for 10 - 20 mins to flatten it, and that will stop everything.

I could try to use the possible default Engineers Code 7809 .. but then what ?

I rang the tel number on the system box and they suggest a fuse might have blown in the box as the wires were chopped. What I have done should have sorted it they say.

The carpet fitter is self employed to the carpet company, even though he uses the companies van and T shirts, he says I cannot hold the company responsible. I pointed out it was him who chopped the cables, so he should sort it. He blamed the owner as she did not have the code. Well I have now and it did not help. Reluctantly he said he would get a leccy mate to have a look and would ring me last night. Heard nothing so far. I was told that the contract was with the carpet company and not the carpet fitter, so it looks like a visit to them is in order. Unless someone knows any different ?

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike2