Intruder Alarm Cable Colours

Hi all

Can anyone advise whether there is a standard for wiring of intruder alarms? Looking at my existing (rapidly failing) install, red and black cores are used for power to passives - seems sensible. Checking the installation manual for a panel ordered this afternoon, this has two of the other cores (white and green) for power, with red and black used for the alarm trigger pair. I know it won't make a scrap of difference to the operation, but if there is a standard out there I am quite prepared to follow it.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I've seen it suggested that you use 'random' colours throughout the system, to confuse anybody trying to tamper with wires along their length, assuming of course that such wires might be accessible to outsiders. Remember though, to keep a record of which wires are what for your own reference!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Doesn't really matter as long as both ends use the same!!! :-) On mine it is

Red = PIR +ve Black = PIR -ve Green and White = Tamper circuit Blue and Yellow = N/C circuit wires

Reply to
diy-newby

I use red and black for power, blue and yellow for zone, and if not using EOL green and white for tamper.

For bells, it depends on which one you have, but I use blue for sounder hold and yellow (sunny!!) for strobe hold.

Reply to
SantaUK

Hi As previously posted it doesn't really matter but the history goes like this IIR. Before powered sensors. red/black zone..blue/yellow tamper. bell red+ black- yellow strobe+ blue strobe-

4 core cabling through out. Powered sensors. #ADT wiring as above but green+ white- Tunstall wiring white+ green- Done IMO to f"*k the engineers.

Today most adopt SantaUK's method with the exception of the old ADT lads who still use the above.#

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Random colours were suggested (by higher management) at work many years ago when I fitted the alarm, so I did. I was cursed more than once over the succeeding years. I could fix it, no-one else could. It ended up being replaced (after about 15 years).

Reply to
<me9

"cj" wrote

Thanks to all Think I'll stick with SantaUK - this will avoid rewiring at the passives.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

There are no set colours

have a "HOW TO" section on thier forum part of the site. Covers wiring, bellboxes, foil and block, battery change and PIR wiring

Reply to
davy12342