How can I decommission my domestic Euro-MERiDIAN alarm system

I don't want it any more. It's a pain in the arsenal, the way it triggers after 30 minutes in a power cut and false triggers every now and again anyway. Most houses on the estate have had alarms going off during the day when householders are at work and it ain't because of burglars! I contacted my insurer and got a re-quote for no alarm. Made absolutely NO difference to my premium!
So instead of forking out 50 - 60 quid each year for the annual maintenance man to come and look busy for half an hour I want to decommission it. Let the next owner re-commission it if he wishes.
Do I need to physically disconnect the backup battery or is there a code I can just punch in? Of course, the alarm maintenance company will do it for me but will probably charge me another 50 quid for the pleasure.
MM

Poke around here http://www.castle-caretech.com/downloads.html

I never get any maintenance on mine except to change the battery every ten years. Do it myself in 10 minutes. Annoy the neighbours by testing it once a year.

If it goes off after a power cut you might need a new battery.
But just turn the power off to it and disconnect the battery if it will make you feel happier

You will probably have to disconnect the battery in the bell box as well, these tend to work independently if the system is disturbed.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:20:46 -0000, "Harry Stottle"

I've never seen a battery in a bell box. Their usual position high up on a wall is not an ideal place to have something like that.

We have one...I know because I fitted the bell box! Accessibility isn't really an issue since it's a rechargeable. They are very common, as far as I am aware.

The one in the alarm panel is rechargeable. It's also the one that operates the bell box and light if it goes off when the power is cut.
Yours I guess is a wireless system
Alang wrote:

Mine isn't, and there is a battery. It's got to be there to start screaming when someone snips the wires to the bell box.
I'd also say the majority of systems are like this.
--
Adrian C

Do what burglars do, and drill a hole or holes in the bell box and fill it with expanding foam. Now, with the bell disabled, you can do whatever work is needed to remove the system.
Alternatively, you may find an professional alarm installer who will de-install it in return for being paid for 2-3X his/her hourly rate.
Bruce wrote:>

Yup.
OT: Here's something more interesting to fill with expanding foam. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg2OBWE0uYM

--
Adrian C

That's exactly what I want to try and avoid!
MM

That hasn't worked for 30 years.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:07:46 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

Seemed to work quite effectively for the tea leaves that did over the local Co-op only a few years back...
--
Cheers
Dave.

You've tried it regularly for 30 years?
How many times have you been arrested?
[you stupid twit]

They used to work on bells because the foam stopped the striker moving. This is why the anti foam Chubb bell box is still used on many old installations. It is multi skinned so the foam doesn't get to the bell. And even then they are frequently linked anyway so even if the bell doesn't work the alarm still sounds elsewhere.
Decent modern ones use a transducer that is virtually unaffected by foam.
{you stupider twit}

When a modern transducer is surrounded by expanding foam, it can transduce at full blast as much as it wants, but only someone whose ear is within inches of it will hear it.

Rubbish, expanding foam is not a very good sound insulator.

It's more than good enough.

I guess that you know nothing about alarms.
30 seconds and most alarms can be disabled.
Even less time if you have a ladder and no nosey neighbours.
Adam
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:50:28 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

I don't want to *destroy* it! Just disable it. The next owner (I would have moved by now but for the housing slump) can decide whether to re-commission it.
MM