How can I prevent lap marks when I stain my deck??

Hello,

I have a 5 year old PT deck, 5/4 boards. The last time I stained it, 2 years ago, there where really bad lap marks. The stain had brownish tint, behr I think.

I have removed all the old stain and washed and sanded where needed. I was thinking of using some cabot clear solution, natural tone stain. oil based. Not clear, it has a brown tint to it.

I'm afraid that I'll end up with bad lap marks again. Any tips on how to prevent lap marks when staining?? or should I use a completely clear stain from olympic or someone else. Thanks for your help.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Paint each plank without comming back to it, you dont want it dried when you are rolling into it, dont do it in sun or a hot, even sun warmed deck, keep a wet edge

Reply to
m Ransley

don't stain on a hot day and always start a fresh stroke on a wet edge taking care not to "double layer" the stain. if you get excess buildup just go over the area with a dry rag. another way around it would be to apply with a roller and brush out.

Reply to
robson

In addition to the excellent advice above: stir your cans frequently. When you're down to about 1/4 can and know you'll need another one, open the next can, stir well, and add about half to the 1/4 full can and stir well. Otherwise, you may notice that the boards stained with the dregs of a can are darker than the ones painted with a full can.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

Thanks for the advice guys. Can you use a roller? would you use a small one so that you only did one board at a time? thanks

jason

Reply to
Jason

The cabot will do the same if you use a roller on a hot day. Experience speaking!

I was advised to spray it on and not use a roller.This was by a friend, the paint store owner.

IMO if you used a smaller roller and went the entire length of each board on a moderate day you might get away with using a roller. That is what I plan to try next because I will kill my fish if I use a sprayer.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Yeah, you can use a roller, idealy one that's one or two boards wide. The length of the boards will determine whether you need a really thick roller cover.

Otherwise, do what others have suggested.... work entire boards instead of stopping in the middle, and work when the surface [the wood] is cool. Heat and direct sunlight are your enemies.

I've tried power sprayers and found that, at least for me, it was too annoying trying to control overspray and covering everything I didn't want stain on. You'll have much more control with a roller, or you may want to try one of those garden sprayers that you pump up. Just don't pump up the pressure really high.

Reply to
Hopkins