deck repair

Ipower wahsed my two decks today and found several decay spots. Both decks have been left unwashed, untreated, under snow, rain, sun for three years. I wondder if there is a good solution to repair these damage spots without replacing the wood. These spots are mostly abouy 6-8" long. But not sure if there are damage inside the plank that does not show through the surface. I wash these spots reallyt good, also bleached them. It seem the surface withstand the pressure quite well. I really hope I don't have to replace the wood. packat

Reply to
PacKat

You can probably patch them to look good, but they will not be structurally sound. What happens when you put a foot through the deck after it gives way? Or if it happens to a guest and you get sued?

You can probably re-enforce them from underneath. That is going to be as much work as just putting in a new piece. Check the joists for rot also. You may be on your way to a replacement if the rot has spread. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

well it's about time....don't you think?

what kind of wood IS your decking?

If the pressure washer didn't blow through the other side chances are .....it is not rotted.

are you planning on staining or clear coating the deck? Now that it's been cleaned....are you going to wait another 3 years to clean it again?

C.A.

Reply to
Carpenter Ant

Ummm.. so sorry.. been bad.. Seriously, this news group has inspired me in so many ways. I started to care more about my dwelling and begin to take pride on things I did by myself. I really appreciate your help (and understanding :-)

I guess it is pine. More than 5 years old. They are there and in good condition when I moved in. I had a neighbor kid washed it once but did not stain.

another 3 years

I would like to stain the wood slightly darker than the natural color. Afyter some inventory, I found a few items left in the garage by the previous owner of the house. I may be able to use them:

- Two 1 gallon cans of Olympic WaterGuard waterproffing clear sealant

- One Thompson's Wood protector Clear Preservative

- One Wolman Rain Coat Water Repellant

- One Behr Natural Seal Plus. Green power treated wood waterproofing

So, it seems to be another outdoor day. What shall I do next? The deck is sparkling clean and dry. Eager in Upper Marlboro packat

Reply to
PacKat

depending on how long they have been sitting in the garage. They may NOT be good any more.

I would purchase a new can of "Cabot" sealer. other clear coat preservatives last about 1 year.

C.A.

Reply to
Carpenter Ant