Paint -- How to stop the bleeding

I am using a dark color to paint a room in the interior of my home. I have already put on 3 coats, but bleeding is still apparent. What do I need to do so the paint covers the entire wall, without anything showing thru. Also, in case it matters, I am using eggshell, not the glossy or semi-glossy texture.

Reply to
Chas

Kilz or Zinnzer.

Reply to
Oscar_lives

Some dark colors, especially certain reds and blues, have much less hiding power than the same kind of paint of a different color and will state so in the color card.. Bleeding is not the same as failing to cover - bleeding is dissolving pigment underneath into the new paint. The low-hide colors require more coats, but I'd check with the paint store where you purchased it, or the website if the mfg. has one, to see how many coats and what prep you need. Assume you are using a decent quality paint.

Reply to
Ramblinon

you got to use a primer/sealer first to protect the bleeding.......... should have done this first before putting any paint on it, but just let what you have there dry and then use some primer sealer and that should take care of the problem....

Reply to
jim

I hope you're not using Wally Whirled's "Color Spot" ! (If you are, you're getting just what you deserve for trying to save a buck in all the wrong places.)

As far along as you are at this point, get a *good* paint mixed to the same color as what you've been playing around with and use it to be done with the job.

Next time around, do proper prep work and prime the walls. (Tip: tint your primer to match the hue of the top coat.) Then paint with a *real* paint. (One gallon of $20 paint that covers in one coat costs less that five gallons of $9/gallon "bargain" paint!)

Reply to
Steve

I have to agree on the good paint. Even though this group will jump on my choice of Behr, I did some painting of blue over white, and Crayon, Sharpee, etc (autistic 7 year old) covered with one coat. Satin finish is what I used, for the record.

I did just do a couple of bathrooms with some wal mart special, (don't shoot me, it was free) and it definitely took two coats, even though there were no marks to speak of. Just didn't want to cover properly.

Maury

Reply to
MF

Well guys, I am using one of the best paints - - Benjamin Moore, so I am not blaming the paint.

Reply to
Chas