Moving alarm keypad live?

Hi All

I am about to move the keypad for my alarm to a new location. I have taken the front of and there are 4 wires connected red, black (assume these are power) green and white. With a resistor across green and white.

Am I safe enough to cut the wires one by one (assume 12v will be ok) ? This would be ideal as it will make it easier to pull the wires through . If not, what is the best way to do it? Unscrew each wire and tape it?

Thanks

Lee

Reply to
leenowell

Some firms/people "mix up" the colours to be no so obvious.

sounds likely that B/R and GND/5V and G/W are the data pair then.

Have you put it into engineer mode?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Power down the alarm and disconnect the internal battery. No need to worry then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes in engineer mode. What is the best way to disconnect the keypad as the alarm is powered as even switching off the mains the battery will kick in

Reply to
leenowell

If you can't disconnect mains&battery then I suppose your plan A of unscrew or snip wires individually, extend and re-connect, being careful not to short them will work, photo beforehand might be handy ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks Andy. I ended up unscrewing them individually taping each one and th en taping them all together. Seems to have done the trick. Got the wire to the right place and thankfully it is just long enough without extending it. Now waiting for the wife to come back to confirm exact location and hopefu lly a job off the never ending DIY list

Reply to
leenowell

Um, only if you have the engineer code. If not, the external sounder will still go off as it has its own internal battery.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Mine will go off even if you have the code. The only way to stop it without power is to put some ear defenders on and take the cover off and disconnect the sounder.

Reply to
dennis

Hi All

So firstly the good news. Keypad has been moved and wired back in without n eeding to extend the wire.

Now the bad news. The keypad correctly displays the time and the fact that the system is in engineer mode. When I press the buttons on this keypad it beeps as normal but the display doesn't change. When I enter the engineer c ode to come out of engineering mode on the other keypad, it checks for tamp ers and then says there are 2 things missing on the circuit

  1. keypad 1
2 prox 1

Any ideas? Is there something special about keypads? System is a Honeywell Galaxy 2

This all

Lee

Reply to
leenowell

it checks for tampers and then says there are 2 things missing on the circuit

Sounds like the keypad isn't connected to the RS485 bus, check your green/white wires ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or try a restart from your other keypad

option 51 17 1

Reply to
Andy Burns

With my Texecom alarm step one would be to use the engineering utils to switch off the sounder. You then have a couple of minutes to power off the alarm and disconnect the battery.

Reply to
Michael Chare

An option 72 for autodetect, to see if it adds the keyprox back?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It was the pesky green wire. With it in the same hole as the resistor it it almost as if the wire is too thin and doesn't get caught properly.

The moved keypad now either shows a load of *'s or is blank. The other keypad beeps when pressed but doesn't seem to respond the key strokes. Just shows engineering mode and time

Reply to
leenowell

The RS485 is wired as a bus

Do you just have keypads/keyproxes? Or also any RIOs/ISDN/ethernet/door controllers?

It could go

PANEL->PAD1->PAD2

or

PAD1->PANEL->PAD2

there should be a 680 ohm resistor at each end of the bus.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No only keypads and the controller itself.

Reply to
leenowell

I have tried to get the keypad working but no joy. I have now disconnected the red lead of the keypad I moved but the other keypad is non responsive. The time is correct so not completely dead. Any ideas?

Reply to
leenowell

Is it wired

PANEL->PAD1->PAD2

or

PAD1->PANEL->PAD2

?

If you totally disconnect the wiring of the keyprox you altered, does the other one work, if it's wired as per the top method, you'll probably need to move the EOL resistor to the other panel to test.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are you sure you connected the green/white wires back to the same A/B terminals on the keypad?

Reply to
Andy Burns

To be honest, I am not sure which way around they are wired together. Witho ut tracing the wire runs is there a way to tell? I have disconnected the li ve and the green wire and the other keypad is not responsive. Shows enginee ring mode and correct date and time.

Reply to
leenowell