Broadband Speed Test

No, openreach did a straight replacement of the 1000 pair cable on both occasions, took them about a week each time, 3G access came in handy then.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We're now coming up to the third December they've promised us FTTC.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I'm aware that the date does get pushed back on many exchanges, but they appear to be doing 'work' on various ducts/manholes for a start, not seen any locations for new green cabs marked out yet though...

Reply to
Andy Burns

We have the new green cab, right next to the old one. But my ISP says it's still December...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I presume Sam agrees with your ISP?

Andy Burns

I could. Probably try that next time the wireless connection kicks me offline. As luck would have it I've not had a problem since this thread was started.

How do I check / find out?

Reply to
Thumper

So you have a friend that's worked for Virgin for some time and he claims that they want users to mess with the CM and BRAS profiles? A likely story.

Reply to
dennis

Install Net Stumbler on your PC.:-

will tell you about all the wi-fi networks in your area. It's only a start though, as Bluetooth also uses the band, as do video senders, some remote controls and a lot of other stuff.

Reply to
John Williamson

Wonder why its worse then. Mind you they sometimes have to try a few pairs before they find one that does work, all depends on how much welly paddy gave it on the winch;!!...

Stretching a point .. well sort of;..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

No Dennis. I did not say that. Quite the reverse. I'll spell it out for you. There is nothing you can do to or alter or enhance the performance of the cable modem. You can only alter such things as the RF side on a wireless one.

Now stop twisting words when you are losing an argument...

Reply to
tony sayer

I presume that you telnet into the modem/router and then use this incantation? The "easy to use" web GUI certainly doesn't offer this!

My Belkin router refuses all Telnet connections. Is there a magic choice of undocumented port and command syntax somewhere. I couldn't find anything useful on what is laughing called their support site.

Routerstats lite lets me plot SNR / speed vs time but I can't see anywhere that lets me obtain a frequency domain plot/data out.

Thanks for any suggestions where to look and what port(s) to prod.

I have a half dead WAG325N to hand if it is easier to get these stats out of a Cisco router. It failed in the classic mode of wired ethernet failing to work first at high speed and then at/all. ADSL modem and WiFi are still OK so I could put it onstream for a quick trial.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes, telnet/ssh/serial console, but only applicable to a 'real' Cisco, not to Linksys aka Cisco.

I probably got confused between RouterStats and the DMT tool (I don't use either) check if any of the varying versions support your router

Andy Burns

Yup :(

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

There are lots of things that can be altered on a cable modem. If you know how. How do you think they set the downstream channels and upstream channels if there is nothing to change? It would be a pretty poor system if they couldn't have more than one channel on a segment.

I can't lose, I am not arguing with you. I just read what you said.

Reply to
dennis

I'll give that a go, sounds interesting. Bit late to do it now. Just got home from watching a session at that big event in Stratford. Up and down like yo-yos for national anthems. Highlights of the evening; a dwarf throwing a discus 45m and almost hitting a cameraman. Home secretary Theresa May being booed. And David Weir winning gold in the 1500m wheelchair race.

Reply to
Thumper

supported modems as it would be interesting to see the profile.

My router completely refuses telnet connections so it is a non starter.

Running routerstatslite has still been quite informative though.

I had no idea by how much my sync speed was flitting up and down during the day as the dew burns off the cables until I ran it all yesterday (4032 early on to as high as 5256 all at nominal 6dB SNR).

Reply to
Martin Brown

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Well then Dennis tell us either how you can do it or a detailed description of what you can do as my mate who engineers these systems wonders if your talking about the same systems.

And things that will benefit the user such as higher speeds or a more reliable connection..

So lets hear it, don't be shy;)....

And misinterpreted it all.!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I am not going to argue with your "friend". You can go and find out yourself.

No, I replied to what you said. If you didn't mean to say what you said then you need to be more careful.

Reply to
dennis

That happens to me (loss of wireless connection), but only with the laptop (2 differemt ones in fact). Kids desktop with USB wireless dongle is fine, but I have to reboot the modem/router to sort out the lost connection.

Does it coincode with microwave oven use?

No, it's quite random.

Reply to
Thumper

It was ADSL2+ in particular that I had in mind but you've clearly ruled out specific equipment issues.

If there are other benefits in your doing so, many ADSL2+ modems/routers can be made to operate in ADSL1 or alternatively your ISP should be able to force the connection type.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton