Broadband Speed Test

Yes, might wring a bit more speed out of the line than the Cisco 803 does, I suppose.

Yes, I've seen the ISP offering to downgrade people back to ADSL1, with the proviso that one day they'll be dropping ADSL1 service so have to upgrade again, I'm hoping for FTTC to beat that day :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No dense - of course you're not

No answer then ... as usual, slithering out of another lost argument

Slither, slither

Reply to
geoff

That happens to me (loss of wireless connection), but only with the laptop (2 differemt ones in fact). Kids desktop with USB wireless dongle is fine, but I have to reboot the modem/router to sort out the lost connection.

Does it coincode with microwave oven use? ============================================== Cooked 2 Sainsburys microwaveable meals tonight and the laptop stayed connected

Reply to
Thumper

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

No, I wonder why;?..

I know what I need to know but do you?..

Dennis stop twisting .. you'll screw yourself up stupid;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Because I don't argue with imaginary people. He is obviously imaginary or his knowledge wouldn't be as limited as yours is.

That doesn't really matter does it, I know how to find out stuff I need to know. You can't even manage basic stuff even with help from a "friend".

A hypocrite as well as someone with "friends".

Reply to
dennis

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Dennis .. go get your pill's now!.

And be quick about it, theres a good chap!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Finally found the time to download it. Can't see how you run it, but did notice an access denied at the bottom. Tried to read the help file but doesn't actually say what to do. I guess its wardriving that I'm wanting to do.

Reply to
Thumper

When VM first announced they were doubling everyones broadband speeds I checked the website which said my area was due to be upgraded this month. I checked again recently and it said because of difficulties my area is now scheduled for August 2013. I'm currently on the 10mb package, so I'm thinking about changing to one of their "Collections" that will give me 60mb for about the same monthly tariff. But will I actually get anywhere near

60mb?
Reply to
Thumper

Who knows? I've got two VM connections - one at my house, one at mum's, both in Edinburgh.

The connection at my house is theoretically a 30 Mbps one doubled to 60 Mbps. The connection at mum's is a 10 Mb one, possibly doubled - I'm not sure. I actually get the same speed at both, peaking, when I'm lucky, at about 10 Mbps.

There is one useful difference though - the traffic-shaping threshholds are much higher on the 30/60 Mbps link and I find I never hit them, whereas I do get the slow-downs when I'm using the link at mum's house.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

60 milli bits per what?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

femto-parsec

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Says we are scheduled for speed doubling December 2012 to February 2013. At present we get a reliable 20 MB down - 2 MB up. But their packages start at 30 MB... So somewhat confusing.

It does seem that something changed in the past few weeks - we were getting some relatively slow periods (perception - I am not into running a speed check the moment a page takes a second or two longer to download). And now is seems solid.

Reply to
polygonum

I changed from Pipex(TalkTalk) to BT fibre recently. Reported speed changed from around 8Mb to 45 Mb. Seems to make absolutely no difference in practice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't mean MB (megabytes), but Mb (megabits), approximately a tenth of a MB figure.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

We had an upgrade to 30 Meg the other month and every time I've speed tested it its been 30 right on the line!..

Course there will still be server delays at the other end etc...

Reply to
tony sayer

I do indeed.

And now I have found the right page, we on M or L with 20 Mb will be doubled to 20 Mb. So that's something exciting and worth waiting for.

Reply to
polygonum

Yeah, VM sent me from 10Mb to 20Mb. I only knew because I did a speed test. Then they gave me 30Mb. If they had not emailed me and let me know I would never have guessed.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Yeah, VM sent me from 10Mb to 20Mb. I only knew because I did a speed test. Then they gave me 30Mb. If they had not emailed me and let me know I would never have guessed.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

per second

Reply to