Broadband Speed Test

Is the low upload speed down to the technology used, or set by the ISP (and they could easily change it, but don't because there's no point as long as other ISPs aren't offering that as a feature)?

I'm in a very rural location here in the US, and I still get a healthy

13Mb download - but it's the 10Mb upload which is surprising (as when I lived in the UK, low upload speeds seemed the norm)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I'm not worried about uploading as I do very little of it.

MM

Reply to
MM

On 31/08/2012 15:30, Jules Richardson wrote:> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012

11:26:20 +0100, MM wrote: >

The low upload speed is the Asymmetric speed part of ADSL so it is a feature of the technology. Many rural phone systems here have nearly prehistoric cable going miles to the exchange and it is hard to get more than 2Mbps down it. BT refuse to install new cable in the rural areas and for every new ADSL subscriber they DACS two grannies phone lines.

Most people download a lot more stuff from the internet than they upload so the ~10:1 asymmetry in speeds makes a lot of sense. >

Is that over phone line or cable TV feed?

Reply to
Martin Brown

yep, I did an installation ans saw a shade over that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That generally works.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Different protocol I think

We take the A in ADSL very seriously - or BTs DSLAMS do, anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , MM scribeth thus

Might be that they have their own equipment in the exchange if you look that up on Samknows it will tell you.

They are an excellent ISP otherwise 'tho so much better for customer service...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Man at B&Q scribeth thus

Well just how long is a piece of string;?..

As most here should know line length is the biggest factor for conventional ADSL. I know mostly of people who are at the bottom end of the speed ratings as they are some way from their exchange. Indeed one of our customers only has 1.7 Meg down on a good day inside the boundary of Cambridge city.

We use Zen for ADSL at a number o other sites and as good an ISP that they are they too are at the mercy of the line plant and length.

However sometimes even if you are on a short line not that far from the exchange it can say connected at a high rate but in practice the real throughput isn't quite so fast.

Here we're on Virgin Media and are supplied with 20 megs its supposed to be up to 40M 'ere long but every time I test it no matter what test site its 20 on the nose down and just over One up;!...

Seems quite adequate for purposes. I have seen their 100M service on the go just LAN fast!..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , Martin Brown writes

Compared with the others' experiences, my down/up speed ratio is a relatively low. On a notional 8Mb/s feed, I get less than 2:1 (1.4/0.8Mb/s). The line is around 3 miles. I suppose it's simply because it has a relatively poor HF performance.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

What does your modem report as it's protocol, stats & sync speed on the line?

I'm on basic ADSL2 nominal 8Mbps with a sync speed of 4256 at the moment after applying the bell wire hack. Prior to that I had 2512.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That is unusual. The normal ADSL1/2 is up to 8 down 448 up (ocasionally

896 up)

SOE LLU operators do higher upload speeds

ADSL2+ is something like up to 20M down and up to 1.5M up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have similar with VM. I'm on 10 meg and it's supposed to 20 meg but it isn't :-( Still on 10 every time I check. I don't understand it :-(

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Are you supposed to be getting that now or only after the "speed doubling" program - which is not going to completed until at least late next year?

Reply to
polygonum

When I enter my postcode at the VM website it says :-

"Your area is ready"

"Congratulations! The new double speed boosts are already up and running in your area."

So I assume my speed should have doubled - but it hasn't :-(

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Maybe not. Have you got a super-hub? I think that you need some sort of upgrade before you can actually get the faster speeds. We have an old cable modem and use our own router. Not at all clear what will happen in December to February when we are supposed to be getting it.

Reply to
polygonum

It does make you wonder what some of the people have done wrong. You can get virgin tests that go down as low as 0.6Mb/s even though the slowest connection they offer is >10mb/s and distance should not affect the throughput.

Likewise you can get adjacent ADSL where one sub gets ~16M and the one next door gets

Reply to
dennis

m = milli = x 0.001 M = mega = x 1000000 b = bit B = byte

So if some one says they have a 10mb connection that's about 1 *bit* of information transmitted every 1 minute 40 seconds...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'll have a look, and report back (got to consult my notebook, and dig out the info on how to do it).

My ADSL was generally typically 1.2Mb/s, and maybe 1.5 or 1.6 max.

I was a bit dubious about what would happen when they upgraded to ADSL2+, as it could have been counterproductive on a slow line. I was relieved when I found there were no problems, and that it was now occasionally up to 1.8Mb/s. My upstream went up from 350kb/s to nearly

800. However, over time, the downstream speed seems to have drifted downwards, and now it never exceeds the original 1.4Mb/s.

While I suppose it could be possible that my ISP has capped my speed in order to make sure that it works reliably without wasting time doing too many error corrections, I believe that my 1.4Mb/s is pretty much par for the course in my road. [BTW, bell wire disconnection made no difference at all.]

BT/Openreach have recently finished running fibre into the village, and have installed two or three cabinets (presumably to house DSLAMs). However, there are no signs yet of any work being done to re-route any of the existing copper to the cabinets. Of course, they might be going to not bother, and simply use the updated system for new installations.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I've just got a cable modem + my own router. That could be the problem I suppose.

But if we need a super-hub to double the speed, why don't they tell us?

Considering going for 60 meg. They'd send an engineer with a super-hub to do that and I assume that all would then be OK - just a few £££ more each month :-) But do I need it ?? I just don't know :-(

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

no, it just shows that the paths to different exchanges have to end up close togather at some poimt And all copper wires and points are not created equal

LLU customers do get different kit, but not THAT different, In the end its down to the length and quality of the copper.

But then I realised who I was replying to and as usual, you are wrong

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher