what use are broadband speed checks

A bit OT, just tested my downlink speed on 4 different web sites and got

4.5 5.25 7.5 9.06 (Mbit/sec)

and uplink varying from 300 kb/sec to 1 Mbit/sec.

How can they be so different and are any credible ?

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

It depends how close the site is to your entry onto the internet. If you choose an underpowered server on the other side of the world then you get a much slower speed than to a core server close to your ISP.

When I benchmark mine I get a pretty solid result +/- 10% on any reasonable UK based tester. I have spent a while tuning my system up to get the BRAS up to 5Mbps on a rural line.

BT speed tester with advanced diagnostics and BBC iPlayer diagnostics are both reasonably powerful servers that can really exercise a link.

If you are streaming it over congested local WiFi all bets are off.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes, thats useful, the fastest was BBC which said there was enough for HD iPlayer.

uswitch, or something similar, was the slowest. Do they have a vested interest in showing a slow speed and all the competing ISI's rather faster ?

and it was over Wi-Fi with two or three routers visible nearby. I'll give the direct ethernet connection a test later,though that's 25 m long.

rusty

Reply to
John

Besides, the real speed is what can you do. I have supposedly 20 meg, and it measures if anything faster than this, but there seem to be bottlenecks out on the internet that cause pauses, not good in live streams.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Assuming there is nothing drastically wrong 100BaseT is speced to 100 Mbps over 100 m of Cat5 cable... I think Gigabit has the same length limit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Thursday 05 December 2013 16:57 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - 1000baseT is also 100m max, even over Cat6/7 cable.

Reply to
Tim Watts

that's 25

length

I should hope so, Cat6 or Cat7 is "better" than Cat5. B-) I think you need Cat5e for 1000BaseT (Gigabit) at the long lengths ie the max

100 m, Cat5 won't quite cut it.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Thursday 05 December 2013 18:32 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yep - exactly :)

My point was that 6/7 does not buy you anything over 5e though - but 6a/7 will get you 10gig speeds!

Reply to
Tim Watts

It will maintain that over a lot longer..

I THOUGHt gigabit was less however

but it seems you are in fact right!

The Natural Philosopher

length

Which "it"? 100BaseT is speced to 100 Mbps at 100 m, it ain't going to stop at 100 m and 1 mm. B-)

On Cat5e as well. I looked at this and got moderately confused as there is afir bit of conflicting information out there, when flooding this place with network and coax. Decided that Cat5e is good enough(*) and less finickity about being pulled twisted snagged and kinked etc when installed by a spark rather than a network installation bod who ought to know how to treat the cable...

(*) After all the data only comes off a bluray disc at about 50 Mbps and SDI lives on coax.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably - so they can pick up a commission if you switch[1]

[1] Usually switching won't make any difference to your speed since you are likely to still use the same BT infrastructure.
Reply to
Mark

synch speed yes, but overall speed can vary a lot.

cheapskate budget ISPs skimp on backhaul and peering links, and throttle to keep performance barely acceptable.

a 5Mbps link is not a lot of good if the onward speed to some foreign site is only 10kbps.

It used to be that synch speed alone was the limiting factor - not any more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher