Better get an allotment or a second hand refrigerated truck?

Yup. Despite so many Brexiteers on here saying immigration from the EU is the cause of low wages. And managing to convince the low paid in the UK they will be better off after leaving.

If a Tory - or any other UK government - want better pay for the worst off they have the powers to legislate for this already. Not rely on so called market forces doing it for them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolute bollocks. I can't think of any time when there wasn't a waiting list for decent council properties.

London has declined, has it? Must be why it wants to leave the EU, then. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Didn't reduce the number of houses though did it ?.

I'm always amazed that people think that a sold council house somehow reduces the housing stock.

Also, the previous situation rarely made council houses 'available' for reletting because the tenants simply passed the tenancy on to their own family, so no change at all, and if the (mostly) labour voting tenants disappeoved, they could always have refused to become owners. All Mrs T did was make it possible for the tenants to buy, no-one forced them to do so.

Reply to
Andrew

Well, dopey, I didn't say that. Your snipping to blame for your confusion.

If being happy means I'm right wing, I now understand why you're such a miserable specimen.

Reply to
Richard

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Hasn't come from the EU. With the fall in immigration from the EU wages are now rising. Market forces. No need to legislate.

Most collective agreements limit it to 40. EU WTD is not "Workers Rights" It is a health and Safety Directive.

Not an EU initiated right.

EU has made things worse.

Plus equal pay act. Yes they "were" good at.

It is the abuse of union power that I am against.

Reply to
bert

I didn't mention fruit pickers - and they are not public sector tenders ffs, They did rule on Viking Cruises however.

Bargaining went on long before we joined the EU. Are up saying RMT will be powerless after Brexit?

So why are employers reporting that they are no having to pay higher wages to attract and retain workers due to the falling immigration from the EU?

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

The evidence is already in front of you.

You can ignore legislation, you cannot ignore market forces.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Which bit of turn-around do you not understand?

Reply to
bert

For which NR was heavily criticised for not doing by the select committee. When the credit crunch came the banks then discovered they had all sold on their risks to each other.

Reply to
bert

There is no overall shortage of housing as such. The shortage is at the affordable end of the market.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All you've said is the EU hasn't done anything for workers rights - in your opinion.

Notice you've failed to say you think the UK should have done more. But absolutely no surprise there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And always will be due to UK planning.

It never fails to amaze me that you can drive around Basingstoke for instance and see sheep grazing not far from the town.

Presumably a "green belt" area or suchlike, but the whole expanse, town and all, could be bulldozed and given over to slum development for the benefit of everyonel, not to mention the architectural improvements such a move would bring.

Trying to blame housing shortages on EU migrants is crackers. Even in Scotland there are vast expanses of land, then sprouting up in the country are high rise blocks.

The fundamental problem is MP,s with more than one property. If they understood the housing shortage in the UK, they would at least try to emulate what the average working person has to cope with.

If the morons blaming migrants for housing shortages actually did something pro active instead of just doing the tory blame someone else game, things could be sorted. Sadly the tossers were sold on the market economy thing, even when the market it totally skewed.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

It's mostly down to supply and demand, if there's plenty of unemployed makes for cheap labour, less unemployed means peolpe can be choosy about what they do and what they get for it.

Lowest unemployment for 40 years apparently which is pretty much how long we've beenm in the EU .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes that's partly what they do. People should be paid for the job they do whether or not they are in a union would you rather it go back to who you're sleeping with or the blue eyed boy or school tie.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You do need to ask just what those jobs are, though. Zero hours contracts? Delivering a pizza you could buy for less in a supemarket and heat yourself? Some would call that job creation. Doesn't do much for the countries balance of trade problems. And is hardly a career for life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No it isn't. I didn't pay my membership fees for a union to interfere in other industries they know nothing about.

Collective bargaining has the power to improve the conditions of all in that industry - without needing the old school tie.

Which is why Tories hate unions. They want the workers to be paid the minium possible, to maximise profits. Simple, really. Hence my hating the lies they tell about wanting higher wages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most likely jos done b y those from the EU and those that can;t do any other sort of work, I'm not sure how that is a good thing.

Take-aways are popular you know.

So as you say it;s good for the economy to have so many take-ways, bookies and estate agents of and pay day loan companies and the pawn shops, they have all increased significanly in the last dozen years or so.

SO is this good for the economy ?

Do you think everyone even politician should be on zero hour contracts ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

No body gives a f*ck what you paid into or for what. But yuor statement was :- "You want unions to insist on things for those who aren't their members?"

When say the minors or the train drivers or even my union gets a pay deal then all those in that job get that deal NIOT just those that are in the union.

and that;s how it works even those NOT in the union do get the pay rises unions fight for.

That's not the reasons, it's because unions have power via it's members.

Tporues don't like any group that isn't part of their world ideals same as most parties.

Which has nothoing to do with union memebership or not.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yet they did and probably still do. The wife quit her union because they decided to send cash to the NUM to support their strikes. She didn't pay her dues for them to interfere either but that didn't stop them.

Reply to
dennis

Only with those who have more money than sense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)