Better get an allotment or a second hand refrigerated truck?

Have you ever heard of paying income tax. Unions do they same. Unions pay into political parties too.

Exactly

"You want unions to insist on things for those who aren't their members?"

When the nurses or doctors or train drivers get awarded a pay claim then all get it irrespective of whwther or not they are memebrs of the union.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's the majority sorted then.

whisky-dave

On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 14:15:10 UTC+1, Andrew wrote: like the 'self-employed' plumber working for

That might not be a good idea if he has high colestrol, sugar or salt problems.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No it's not

we get more from ROW

and then there's tourism

why are we going to lose it?

Oh it's because Dave says so

tim

Reply to
tim...

the US never will

it's not a sensible target

there's a whole ROW out there, be brave

tim

Reply to
tim...

it trades with us on our terms, that's how it works

the importer sets tariffs, not the exporter

The point is that at the moment

Obidoobyland sells its goods to the EU with EU tariffs applied and it sells its goods to the UK (as part of the EU) with EU tariffs applied.

after we leave it will sell goods to the EU with EU tariffs applied and it will sell goods to the UK with UK tariffs applied (which for the sake of this description we will assume are the same as the EU)

So from the pov of Obidoobyland NOTHING changes

what changes is ATM the EU sells goods to the UK with ZERO tariffs and after we leave it will sell goods to the UK with UK tariffs applied (remember the same as the EU tariffs)

so EU prices to the UK go up relative to Obidoobyland prices (which haven't changed)

so Obidoobyland's goods are now cheaper in the shops

Why is it that you could not work it out for yourself?

Exactly, that's the point

tim

Reply to
tim...

If that happens then the trade would not be under WTO rules. It coul dhappen like that but the two countries would then not be able to use the WTO to resolve disputes.

That is a given but it is irrelevant to the problem. We are talking here of imports to the UK with UK tariffs applied to those goods.

How will imports from Obidoobyland be cheaper for British consumers if the UK tariff applied to those goods is the same before and after Brexit?

True.

False. You said above the UK will apply the same tariff to these imports that the EU applied.

Reply to
Pamela

The US currently takes about 20% of UK exports.

Once UK exports to the EU decline as a result of Brexit then the US will become an even more important export market.

However Trump believes he owes us no favours and he'll see we're on our knees. He likes to take advantage of that sort of situation.

Reply to
Pamela

Rod, what does "lopt" mean?

Reply to
Pamela

Ah - right. We have the EU as a single source versus ROW. Very Brexiteer, that.

Will anyone want to come here when we no longer have immigrant labour to staff hotels etc?

The Brexiteer dreamer. Trade etc with the EU won't be affected in the least after we leave.

I tend to listen to people who know rather more about it than you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The political levy is voluntary. Have you never belonged to a union?

A nurse gets the same pay rise as a train driver? Wonder if anyone has told them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right. Not the EU as we don't want a deal with them. Not the US, because a Trump deal would be one sided - and then ignored if he feels like it.

The whole ROW has just shrunk by about 50%. But carry on praying. Someone has to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Line OutPut Transformer. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

loser.

Looser is an adjective, not a noun.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Top trolling from T r o l l, but no surprise there.

Reply to
Tim Streater

except that he wasn't self employed

a genuine SE person would be ALLOWED to decide their own hours (obviously within the limits of what customers will accept)

but when he asked to work a 4 day week he was refused permission to do so

Plain common sense says that if you are refused permission by your supervisor to work a short week then your supervisor is you employer and you are an employee

It was PP that wanted their cake and to eat it, not the worker

tim

Reply to
tim...

No

it's a lie that we want to stop them - cos they aren't sponging, they pay fees just like anyone else

(that we might want them to leave the instant that they have completed their degree is a different argument)

Reply to
tim...

You mean Loptx

Reply to
Sam

I like the way Tim says "be brave" because I imagine all stupid people say that to themselves before doing something foolish.

Anyway, I can't imagine there's many hugley profitable trade agreements to be had with with Brazil or China. As for India, it wants the UK to accept more immigrants from India in exchange for trade deals. Evidently it can sense our weakness.

What a mess.

Reply to
Pamela

yes it would

as long as our terms follow WTO rules (which there is no suggestion that they wont)

you are missing the point that I am talking about the importation of goods with UK tariffs where those goods would have previously been imported with EU tariffs

from the exporters pov they are in the identical position that they were before

they wont be any cheaper than they were before. They WILL be cheaper than EU goods now are

Because the point is as they were selling them before, competing with the tariff free EU imports, they were probably (after tariffs) matching the EU tariff free price.

but the EU has greater costs of production, currently hidden behind protectionist tariffs

tim

Reply to
tim...