Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Storage heaters
I am looking to remove a storage heater, can anyone tell me when you disconnect the cable to remove the heater do you have to reconnect the cable to the socket. I have other storage heaters so still...
6
6

OT: One tonne German bomb detonated in Exeter
big bang, shattering windows and cracking walls in the area. Local residents still not allowed home in case their houses are unsafe. Police said the 2,200lb (1,000kg) device blast left a crater the...
55
55

Lamona Rieza Monoblock cold tap leaks
I'm looking to change the washer or Cartridge on this tap as when the cold water is running there is a small leak from the cold turn handle. Ok here's the bit where I need advice, I've removed the...

Honeywell Motorised Valve Alternative - BES
Hi guys My FIL has noticed two port motorised valves on BES web site. These are approx £25 compared to maybe £75 for Honeywell version . Anyone used these to have seen the quality of these cheap...
3
3

Ideas sought for sealing gap in upvc double glazing lip
Now that I am working in the 'back bedroom' I am becoming more keenly awar of the draughts in there... There seem to be two main causes. One is a gap between the opening window and the frame (it's not...
13
13

condensation in potting shed
how can I insulate my clear corrugated plastic roof as I have a LOT of water droplets on the inside. I was thinking of putting polystyrene on the inside of the roof would this work?
6
6

PING: Brian Reay G8OSN
Brian, the first week of our total independence from the EU is now complete, but I haven?t seen anything in the news about the NHS being given that extra £350M that that bus said it would get every...
40
40

Thinners for Tipp-ex
In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal thinner. I know that was outlawed. Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-Ex (as apart from some water based stuff) The Warning...
19
19

Anyone used Gibbs and Dandy?
Has anyone any experiences with Gibbs and Dandy builders' merchants? They're part of the Saint Gobain empire, although seemingly different from Jewson (also owned by S-G). As usual for BM's, they...
12
12

Low gas pressure at boiler
So, fitted the new gas valve to the boiler and the house is warming up nicely now. I set the output pressure on gas valave (abiout 12 mbar), and while I was at it checked the supply pressure on the...
5
5

Chasing 10mm plastic central heating pipes into the wall
My son has just moved into an old house and wants to hide some radiator pipes by chasing them into the wall. The thinking is 10mm., for smaller channels, and plastic for simplicity and less heat loss....
18
18

Lidl Woodturning Lathe (2023 Update)
I see that Lidl have got a woodturning lathe for £60. Anyone bought one? it likely to be any good? Parkside Woodturning Lathe - For processing wooden workpieces up to 60cm in length and 25cm in...
15
15

Any graphics tablet users out there?
I keep toying with the idea of a small graphics tablet to let me doodle on a computer, or make notes on a photo (like a circle around an object of interest and a bit of a caption). I have a very old,...
17
17

OT: cook at home food boxes
Is there any one here who uses (or knows someone who uses) these From what I have seen, I can't help thinking that they are horrendously expensive for what they are and as you are still doing all the...
46
46

Royal Mail confusion
I'm expecting a package to be delivered. It reached Royal Mail in Chelmsford early this morning. This afternoon, I arranged for Royal Mail to leave it at a neighbour if nobody is here to receive it,...
3
3

Removing burnt on carbon from non-stick fryin g pan
I'm looking for recommendations from people who have successfully tried the solution (if any). :-) Over a period of time a non-stick frying pan has gradually accumulated more and more carbon. Internet...
24
24

Dehumidifier recommendations
I've had an ebac 2650e for about five years and it works well enough, but it's getting a bit too heavy to take up & down stairs so I'm looking to buy a second dehumidifier for upstairs. Most of the...
21
21

Re: Limetron hard water conditioner
What is it? An ion exchnage column, a salt based "softener", ah no a coil of wire around a bit of pipe. As with most things snake oil you'll find the odd person who thinks said snake oil is the best...
1
1

PVA on outdoor wood
Can you seal outdoor wood by painting on waterproof PVA? I am thinking say if you had the roof of a bird table or chicken coop would it be a good plan to glue the wooden bits together and seal over...
2
2

Installation tips wanted for FENCEMATE Swift Clamp Concrete-In Post Support
Yesterday I bought a FENCEMATE® Swift Clamp Concrete-In Post Support 100 x 100 epoxy brown, but there were no instructions with it. It looks this this: should think the installation is fairly...
6
6