Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Heat distribution around home
The home being a bungalow. Noticing a 3C differential between ends of the house, and not wanting to heat one end at ludicrous energy prices, what's most cost effective way to get air to move around...
43
43

Removing/sawing vicious stumps.
Not a gardening question. I am not a gardener. I just want to get rid of overgrown vicious weed stumps that previous antisocial tenants let grow for years without giving a toss. I cut all green parts...
16
16

Return to Imperial units consultation - are we wasting money on returning to imperial units
Some idiot on the last government (there are so many of them I can't remember which) decided to try to grab a few votes by forcing the government to issue a consultation on a return to imperial units...
110
110

Garage floor paint.....
I've been given two brand new unused 5 litre cans of garage floor paint. Is painting the concrete garage floor paint actually worth doing or does it quickly wear off and flake off? Otherwise, I'll put...
4
4

Replacing stamps with bar coded ones
Some time ago when I knew about an increase in the price of 1st and 2nd class stamps I bought several hundred stamps. I know that I won't want to use these before 31/1/23 so I sent off 100 1st and 100...
6
6

Multimeter question
I've just received an ANENG M118A multimeter. bought it as my 33 year-old auto-ranging Fluke 75 has expired - and this cheapo is also auto-ranging. Trouble is that it is even more automatic when it...
5
5

I want to stop weeds growing in a particular place
Hi I have a couple of gardening issues, although I'm not a gardener. I had a new patio laid and along one edge is an old brick wall, with a slight gap so that we can get it redecorated etc. However,...
19
19

Pay per mile instead of road vehicle licence.
I might be paying ~2p/mile for 159-165 (Band G)
58
58

Door handle washers - ?
We have a standard sort of UPVC front door, now about 20 years old I guess. There is a washer (nylon?) inside the door handle (one on each handle of the pair, inside / outside). This washer seems to...
3
3

Plumber one radiator, a bathroom and shower mixer and 3 sets of taps. One in ensuite, one in main bathroom and one in downstairs toilet. Found a TPR 15 reliance water control cut out lying on the floor after he left. Should this have been replaced?
I have an oil driven worcester heat slave combi boiler. No water tank anywhere.. The pressure in the shower he fitted a Mira Coda Pro EV Exposed Thermostatic Valve Mixer... is poor. The hot pipe...

New world Stowaway boiler 411/412
Can anyone pls help, I’m looking for replacement gas valve for Stowaway boiler fitted some good 40 years ago! I under boiler is now obsolete. However this boiler wil go in for many more years if I...

Decorating celotex
I have a flat roof I'd like to improve the insulation of, mainly to stop cold bridging and reflect a bit of the solar gain. The outside is inaccessible without major scaffolding, which leaves me doing...
26
26

Kitchen drawer.
I built my own kitchen many years ago. Only bought in parts were doors and drawer fronts. Or rather the drawers themselves were made from PVC mouldings which clip together with a ply bottom - the...
4
4

Manhole covers lifting with excess rainfall
Would anyone have any input on what "pressure" of rainfall in a combined sewer system is required to lift a steel manhole cover in road surface. Yesterday about 3 inches of water jetting thru a vent...
9
9

Henry Hoover brush head
Hi how do you put a henry red turbo brush head back together 😀 I tool mine apart to clean and forgot how to put it back

Brixton Exchange lone in Fulham
Hi All, I have in my possession a gramophone record the sleeve advertises the seller of this record (or perhaps the one that originally came in it) as being located in Fulham, but with a Brixton phone...
5
5

Synchronous motor for microwave
The motor on my microwave ( Swan digital 900w 25L) is going wrong. It wont turn the turntable properly and makes a cluncking sound. I would like to replace the motor . I love the microwave and its in...
15
15

scam company
My daughter lives in Liverpool and her boiler stopped working so she called this company (24/7 Best Emergency Services) at 4:00pm and a woman quoted her £50 call out plus a small charge for the job...
2
2

Repositioning oven cable outlet and isolator?
I'm preparing various channels in the wall ready for the new kitchen wiring and some plastering. The new kitchen will be installed pretty soon. We have an oven and a combi microwave/oven above it in a...
9
9

OT car: slow leak, alloy wheel refurbishment?
One tyre (right rear) has a slow leak: I pump it up to 30 PSI, and two days (~ 90 miles) later it's about 26.5 so I pump it up again. Our normal tyre place (usually pretty good) resealed it twice (at...
21
21