Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Pireflex H07 RN-F 3G4 cable spec?
I've had an off-cut of flexible rubber 3-core 4mm2 cable lying around for ages but can't find the spec, can anyone be a better friend than Google? It's marked "Pireflex USE>HAR
3
3

Flickering and darker red neon switch for fridge
Hi guys. The fridge is not cooling more than 10 Celsius or about 42 farenheit. The very bottom of e freezer is hot! And the red light in the switch is flickering and shining less bright than its...
3
3

Double glazing beading on the outside?!?
Why do some glaziers fit the beading on the outside of windows? Surely, common sense tells us to put the part you can easily remove on the inside, for security.
25
25

Lino over carpet?
I know this is a crap idea on paper but I am feeling supremely lazy and i'm cash and time poor ATM, but want to crack on. Has anyone laid lino over carpet? What was the outcome? It's for upstairs at...
14
14

Mixed gasses
I asked google, about a mix of propane or butane and acetylene but only got answers around propane butane mixes, I can not believe that people have not experimented but google seem to have decided no...
29
29

Likely cause of boiler transformer failure?
I have an Ideal Icos HE15 heat-only boiler which, by all accounts judging by plumbing/heating forums on the Internet, appears to be unwanted child of the boiler world. That said, this one is 12 years...
15
15

British Gas wireless thermostat
I?ve tried all the ways to get the thermostat to talk to the boiler. The problem I have is my thermostat is stuck to my wall so I can?t take it to the WR1 unit. I did get it to work twice. That lasted...
2
2

Leaking flex tap connector
Hi All I am fitting a new bathroom sink. I usually do this by fitting an isolation valve (one where you turn it on / off with a flat head screwdriver) between the incoming supply (terminated with a...
33
33

Cutting plastic coated MDF
I?m trying to cut some plastic coated MDF (Melamine?) using a powered jig saw and it?s chipping the plastic like mad. A friend told me there is a special blade for doing this. Can anyone advise me?...
23
23

"Snackmasters" - Ch4
Anyone catch this ? The DIY connection is the contestants (top chefs) have to try to create a classic snack food. Just seen S1E1, about the KitKat, and was interested to hear the "yeast" secret of the...
10
10

WRONG TOILETSENT
I ordered a Close coupled toilet and was sent a Back to wall closed coupled toilet and immediately contacted Plumbworld and sent in all the photo and dispatch note by email attachment, yet they are...
1
1

Flavel Caress HE gas fire?
Installed only 4 years ago and only had little use and now will not strike up. You can hold the lever down to bring up the pilot light, but on releasing the lever, instead of the fire bursting into...
41
41

Lubricating oven rails
Hi All I have an oven which has telescopic rails which allows certain shelves to slide out on arms. They are now getting a bit sticky and one of them struggles to go all the way in. Was wondering what...
34
34

PCD?
All along the newer dual-carriageway section of the A46, from nottingam to Newark are signs saying "PCD 30m ->" or various distances, seemingly they are to do with water attenuation ponds, and maybe...
4
4

Socket to 6 amp lighting circuit OK?
I have 1.5mm cable for a downstairs lighting circuit. Can I add a 3 pin socket to it above the door for use by christmas lights etc? [g]
42
42

Why do LEDs generate heat?
Why do LEDs generate heat? I want a technical answer not "because they're inefficient". And will we ever make them more efficient?
140
140

My garage has an Asbestolux? ceiling. Can I have it plastered over?
So do the other 27 flat owners in this block, as far as I'm aware. I want to work in the garage, so can I have it plastered over, or does it need to be removed completely? A very nice old neighbour...
30
30

Concrete floor - Unsupported right angle in RSJ (s) to support upstairs rooms
Hello, I want to take down the walls between my kitchen and my dining area of my through sitting/dining room. I am unsure whether this wall is a supporting wall. The RSJ could sit on a column of...
13
13

How to make a curtain pelmet
I'd quite forgotten that. Hideous stuff IIRC. NT
10
10

Single Brick House Questions
HI, I've been reading about single brick House difficulties. I'm thinking about buying an old cottage which is single brick. Nobody can get a mortgage on it- and the price hs obviously been reduced...
24
24