Brixton Exchange lone in Fulham

Hi All,

I have in my possession a gramophone record the sleeve advertises the seller of this record (or perhaps the one that originally came in it) as being located in Fulham, but with a Brixton phone number.

Did Fulham phone lines once all come from the Brixton exchange??

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Don't think so. If they moved at some time, they could pay extra to keep an 'out of area' number. To avoid returning customers not being able to get in touch.

Or perhaps just a head office number?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Highly unlikely. The company might have moved and paid to keep,their number

Reply to
charles

Thanks All (well, two)

I think head office number is the most likely.

My own experience is that in the less olden times (70s and 80s). If you moved area, you had to change number.

In the late 80s / early 90s my ex employer Stirling Microsystems moved temporarily from 231 to 241 Baker Street (The more astute among you will notice I worked a few doors down from Uncle Sherlock).

The move was across a BT boundary?.. and the boss man didn?t fancy the cost and disruption of changing the number(s)?.

After 231 was refurbished and it was time to move back the BT salesman asked where they should collect the old equipment??

The MD said ?You see that piece of telecom wire going across the pub garden?.. it?s at the other end of that?

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Not so. In the 60s, a pal moved his business out of the phone area and paid extra to keep the same - rather nice - number. (XXX) 5000 IIRC, which may have had a cost to get in the first place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

St Bartholomews used to be 01-606-7777. Pity BT didn't have a 666 area number (for China town) :-)

Reply to
Andrew