Thinners for Tipp-ex

In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal thinner. I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-Ex (as apart from some water based stuff) The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a thinner? ..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone, cellulose thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany. It is Art No. 4002523 09 UPC 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and also now uses a foam brush. The containers I have still have the original 'brush' ..... so unsure if the product is with or without Tricho

Reply to
rick

According to the MSDS at

it contains: Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light - 30 - 40% Naphtha (petroleum), light alkylate - <10%

2-methoxy-1-methylethyl acetate - <10%

Seems to me you could try a few drops of petrol to thin it, unless anybody here is certain it wouldn't work.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

It makes a mess of the monitor

Reply to
charles

Or white spirit.

One thing you can be sure of is that if they are labelled highly flammable, they won't be trichloroethane!

Reply to
newshound

Way back in the 1960s, one of my schoolmates bought some carbon tet from the local pharmacist (they used to stock such things in those days but I can't remember what his pretext was). It came in a brown, ribbed "poison" bottle with a "flammable" sticker. Those were the days

- a whole pound of unadulterated sodium chlorate from the ironmonger for a few pence. What fun we had!

Reply to
Custos Custodum

As apprentices we used to rinse our hands in CTC or TCE and then some years later we had to use Genclene (de-natured TCE). It was recommended to apply Lanolin to the hands after.

Reply to
jon

I remember pouring carbon tet on a bonfire and admiring the dense white smoke that clung to the ground and flowed like a river. Later found out that was phosgene gas!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Petrol is not Naptha, but lighter fuel is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WD40?

(not responsible for dizziness, headaches, burning, boris johnson, itchyness, insomnia, lethargy, runny nose, two heads, upset tummy.....)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

+1
Reply to
jon

Acetone almost certainly will work.. Don't breathe it in though! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The only problem with that is that the small percentage of non-volatile mineral oil may leave something like a "grease ring" on the paper.

Reply to
newshound

used for "dry" cleaning, Getting oily stains our of clothing. Sold as "Thawpit".

Reply to
charles

Toluene could work.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The tri-nitro kind would work.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

Thawpit was great stuff, perfect for cleaning Hornby Dublo track :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Would probably make it a nasty yellow colour rather than white, though.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Not got any of that ... I have

Cellulose thinners Acetone Meths Lighter Fluid Paraffin Petrol Trichloroethane 1:1:1 ISO-Propyl

Reply to
rick

error - its Lighter Gas I have not the fluid.

Reply to
rick

Nice chat on explosives ..... anybody any further suggestion on Thinner to use.

Reply to
rick