Anyone used Gibbs and Dandy?

Has anyone any experiences with Gibbs and Dandy builders' merchants? They're part of the Saint Gobain empire, although seemingly different from Jewson (also owned by S-G).

As usual for BM's, they don't quote prices on their website. So I opened an account. But even if you have an account they don't quote prices. There's a 'request a quote' button on their website, which I duly filled in and submitted and... nothing.

Wondering if there's anything worthwhile to be had price-wise by continuing to chase them, or if I'm better off going to Wickes? I'm not going to be buying large quantities of stuff.

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo

I haven't used the one here much since they took over the local indy firm (just a couple of tiles)

Yes that's pretty annoying, at least Travis Perkins will let you see prices after you login.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message <Yjr*joD+ snipped-for-privacy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo <theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes

I have had an account since around 1980 with their Luton branch.

You probably need to phone for a quote currently. I think discounts are linked to *expected trade levels*!

Best to get some figures elsewhere and then negotiate.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I never deal with any supplier who hides the prices....even car dealers.

Reply to
jon

Someone should make a crowdsourced website the the price of all items after negotiations - I'm sure it's data that is available electronically in receipts.

It could cover various annoying variable pricing industries such as builders merchants, all insurances, accommodation, travel tickets, theatre tickets, car dealers, Amazon, eBay ...

Knowing who will be conducive to getting the lowest price, will stop some plumping for the first outlet and getting ripped off, that practice is too common....

Does this already exist?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

In my experience anyone who doesn't quote a price is going to be expensive for small order quantities. Also watch out for high delivery costs on orders less than x hundreds of pounds.

Reply to
alan_m

Also be aware of ex VAT quotes.

Reply to
alan_m

I used to use them all the time as a cash customer, probably around £200 a week in materials. Then one day I went in, and was charged about double the usual amount. Apparently, as I hadnt got an account, they couldnt reduce the prices. This was after they had lost my account application and its references etc. My mate was the deputy Manager, even he couldnt do anything, as they had orders from head office about pricing. Never used them again. This was 10 years ago, so things may have changed.

Reply to
Alan

I've had past good experiences with Ridgeons for timber - marginally more expensive than the sheds at walk-up pricing, but much better quality. Unfortunately they've been taken over by Huws Gray and their merged website is (still) a bit of a disaster zone.

Then there are the smaller independents, whose websites say basically 'we sell wood, loadsa wood. Call us for what we have'. Which is fair enough, up to a point. Past experience is that pricing can be ok but ranges can be limited. I should do some ringing around when they have reopened.

Thanks all for the feedback, I think I'll give G&D a miss.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

When? Have you not noticed that we are in the middle of the fornight when expecting anything involving "office work" to happen in a timely manner is the same as porcine aviation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

May and August. I hope that would be long enough for them.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I had cause to use Gibbs and Dandy, as Wickes click and collect is problematic at the moment.

It turns out G&D's website is utterly broken (stock on the website is just plain wrong, so product pages don't exist, etc), but they are fine on the phone. Everything went through smoothly, and they managed to deliver for free next day at 9am. Prices on insulation was slightly more than Wickes for loft roll, but much cheaper than Wickes for PIR (1.2x2.4m Celotex is about £25 for 50mm thick and £40 for 100mm, against £45/£75 for Kingspan TP10 at Wickes).

(G&D is part of Saint Gobain who own Celotex; Wickes have a cheaper brand Iko Enertherm but only in stores around London it seems, and not for delivery)

So they were actually fine, it's just their website is useless (and online accounts is currently offline for several weeks as well).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Gibbs and Dandy have now got a new website - which shows prices! Prices if you aren't logged in are about the same as Wickes: £70 for 2400x1200x100mm celotex

If I login with my cash account it falls to £40.74. So now I can price stuff up without calling them, hurrah!

Theo

Reply to
Theo