Has Anyone Ever Used IKEA Cabinets?

We're in the process of re-doing our kitchen, and in our research it seems the mid range cabinets at Home Depot are comparable to the IKEA cabinets, but the installation of the IKEA cabinets would be easier.

Has anyone used the IKEA cabinets? What are your thoughts?

BV.

Reply to
BenignVanilla

A few years a go Consumer Reports had a review of cabinets. They discussed brands but even more important what to look for in cabinets. Check the library for a copy.

cabinets,

Reply to
Art Begun

I installed IKEA's in our kitchen. Saved a bunch of money and look and work good. Comparable to more expensive cabinets. They came shipped flat on a pallet and I assembled them in the garage and set and hung them basically alone, had a little help from a friend on heavier items. I would do it again!

doug

Reply to
Doug McGinnis

inexpensive. What are these cabinets made of? If they are particle board, I'd pass and get something better quality. Dave

Reply to
DaveG

Particle board (or whatever else it's called) is not worth it. We got some stand alone closets for a bedroom. Looked great in the store. Looked pretty good at home. When we moved I had to disassemble them. Yes there was some breakage and gluing. It's not worth it. Almost anyone could make something nicer , less expensive, and sturdier with pine. Just need the time.

We also had some kitchen cupboards from Home Depot. These were the less expensive models. They looked good when finished but I had to provide a lot of extra support to make them sturdy.

My two cents. Joe

Reply to
Joe

are you planning on taking your kitchen with you when you move?

the sides of the cabinets are made from 3/4" material, probably some high density particle board. But depending on where you live, and budget, any cabinets might be made from the same particle board.

funny. every kitchen cabinet I've looked at is always more expensive when it's in wood. Nobody will sell you a cheaper wood cabinet than the particle board/melamine ones.

they're all probably made in the same place. we had our kichen cabinets installed by a small company, and the owner/designer told us that there are only a few manufacturers around (at least in canada) and all kitchen makers buy the materials from them. she provides service and customisation.

Reply to
j j

New custom wood cabinets can still be bought today if you are willing to pay for them.

quality.

description--"vintage"

Reply to
Art Begun