Window not staying up

We have relatively new vinyl replacement windows (less than 7 years) and a couple of the sashes do not stay up and tend to slide down a few inches. Short of having to prop something underneath them to hold them up, what is the best way for a "nonprofessional" to fix this problem?

thanks in advance no spam--remove last 3 letters in address to respond

Reply to
DSegal1027

There are curved tempered metal strips available. What you do is open the window all the way. Press one of these curved strips into the channel, with the curve facing out of the channel. Close the window, trapping the metal strip in the channel against the edge of the window. This should keep the window in any open position. These window repair shortcuts were originally sold when windows had sash cord with weights. They were used when the sash cord broke. Nothing like being sound asleep when the cord broke in the middle of the night and the weight fell down with a loud bang. At least you knew your heart was still good.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Thanks Tomkanpa for the advice. Are these strips sold at Home Depot and other big home stores?

no spam--remove last 3 letters in address to respond

Reply to
DSegal1027

____Reply Separator_____

I would think so. Do you know where there's an old type hardware store, a real hardware store? They should have them.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

D > We have relatively new vinyl replacement windows (less than 7 years) and a D > couple of the sashes do not stay up and tend to slide down a few inches. S ort D > of having to prop something underneath them to hold them up, what is the be t D > way for a "nonprofessional" to fix this problem?

Tom's way is more professional but one could get those small latches with the sliding barrel. Mount, drill appropriate hole (or holes for various openings).

If the barrel latch is mounted away from the bottom of the window it can also serve as a deterrent to someone breaking in via the open window.

  • Having control over myself is nearly as good as having control over others.
Reply to
barry martin

Get with manufacturer and ask to have them serviced. Most national or even regional brands carry extensive warrantees that may at least get you a new balance system. Or a pro rate on the cost of replacements. The balance systems in the vinyl units I've worked with are completely replaceable in minutes. There may also be some adjustability in the balance. Again, the mfgr will help here. I've also seen a few where the appropriate balance was not installed at the factory and a balance for a smaller unit was installed instead, rsulting in not enough or too much tension. New national brand units sold now carry lifetime warrantees on all parts and, I believe, some will pay the local distributor the labor to service or even re-install a unit if the window fails for any reason. Windsor out of Des Moines will do this.

Reply to
mike korenchuk