Fixing a double hung window tension string?

Hi all,

I've got a house about 7 years old. The windows are typical double hung dual pane tilt-out removable windows. I have no information about the manufacturer. There are no markings to indicate this, nor info given to me when I bought the house about who made the windows.

The windows slide up and down in their tracks, and at the top of the sliding pane, there are latches that when pressed inward allow the window to tilt inward (to the inside). The window can then be lifted out. The bottom of the sliding pane has prongs on either side; these fit into small plastic sliders that fit in a grove in the window frame. The sliders are attached to tensioned strings that effectively counterballance the weight of the window.

My problem is that some of these plastic slider pieces are broken. So, the prongs aren't held tightly and the windows don't fit quite right and sometimes rattle in the wind, or don't stay raised when the windows are opened.

The plastic sliders and tension strings are part of what appears to be a removable piece inside the groove on the side of the window frame, held by just one small screw. I can remove the screw and the whole tension string assembly moves up and down in the groove. But there's just not quite enough clearance to remove it from the grooves.

I realized this isn't much information, but perhaps someone more familiar with this topic can guide me towards some resources to help me figure out how to remove this assembly, and figure out where to get replacement parts?

Thanks in advance!

Marc

Reply to
Marc_G

Maybe this will help??

Abe

Thanks Abe, that's very helpful.

Upon further investigation I can see that the windows in question are actually single hung, not double, (the house has both kinds, but the broken ones are single), but the info here was very helpful nonetheless. now I just need to see if I can find a new balance cartridge or locking pawl for my particular unknown brand...

Marc

Reply to
Marc_G