help with vinyl window

I recently posted a message looking for a vinyl sash replacement kit. I have a single hung vinyl window with damage to the sash. This is a new construction house, built 2.5 years ago. Replacing the window would mean peeling back the vinyl siding on the outside of the house to remove the window. I'm looking to avoid replacement if I can.

Unfortunately, I do not know the manufacturer of the windows. Neither does the home owner's association. The builder doesn't. The supplier to the builder no longer carries windows.

I find it hard to believe some window manufacturer hasn't started to make replacement vinyl sashes. For new construction houses, it's nearly impossible to replace the windows without great expense or trouble. You would think there is an easy way to address this problem.

Does anyone know why a wooden or aluminum sash replacement kit wouldn't work in a vinyl window?

Are there any other resources or places I can turn to for help with this question? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Puckett

"Jeff Puckett" wrote

Your window is _probably_ a standard size, but unfortunately as already pointed out, different manufacturer parts are not interchangeable.

The good news is, vinyl siding is not that hard to unzip and put back. Your window _probably_ has a nailing fin, being a single hung window you can bet it was the cheapest window available. Normally on new construction, single hung are installed on the first floor, with double hung installed on the second floor. If your window is on the first floor, this is more good news since you wouldn't have to work that high off the ground.

Measure your window, look for a new construction window same size (frame and all). Unzip siding, there is a small tool called a siding zipper which costs about $10. Start with the 2nd panel above the window and unzip, this will let you have access to the fasteners on the panel below. Pull fasteners, make sure you mark siding panel with an ID # so you know how & where to re-install. Mark all your J channels where they go (you may have to buy new channels, since the outside dimensions of new window may differ because of casing. Once siding is off down below window, pull fasteners from nailing fin. Install new window plumb/level/square. Reinstall everything you took off, caulk as needed. You may have to cut a few pieces down depending on outside casing. Hopefully, you won't need longer siding! Get a brochure from one of these DIY centers on installing siding. The trick to installing vinyl siding is you don't pull it tight, it is supposed to _hang_. Don't nail vinyl siding tight, it needs to expand/contract.

You can do it, just take your time.

Reply to
Jon Zone