paint on a vinyl window?

will any type of painting process hold on the interior side of a vinyl window frame?

thanks, bill

Reply to
bill allemann

automotive paint with the vinyl additive will. (used on bumpers)

Steve Barker DLT

XIM has a plastic primer sold at real paint stores, I dont know about vinyl but look online, I used it for auto trim.

Reply to
ransley

Krylon paint brand.

"Question: My house shutters are looking shabby and need repainted. The shutters are made of vinyl and I want to be sure that whatever paint I use will last. Which spray paint do you recommend?

Answer: We recommend that you use Krylon Fusion for Plastic® on your exterior vinyl shutters. Fusion for Plastic bonds easily to hard, rigid, non-flexing vinyl surfaces, such as vinyl shutters and vinyl-clad windows. It?s also easy to use because no sanding or priming is required. Plus, it dries in 15 minutes or less."

Oren

I used Krylon Fusion on an inexpensive plastic patio set like this:

It took something like 6 - 8 cans to do 4 chairs and the 4' diameter table.

It looked pretty good for the first season, but then it started to chip. I touched it all up with a few more cans but it started to flake off after a few months.

Tip: don't try to knock a block of ice off the chair seat. Most of the paint stuck to the ice, not the chair.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The company suggests allowing the paint to cure for seven days, before out door use. Did you do that?

Reply to
Oren

on 12/3/2008 2:30 PM bill allemann said the following:

Both Rustoleum and now Krylon have spray paint made for plastic. The colors are limited though. Rustoleum has a vinyl primer which will allow any type of paint to cover. .

Reply to
willshak

DerbyDad03 wrote in :

The lack of adhesion is likely due to Krylon misleading you into insufficient preparation. Krylon's claim of "prep unneeded" notwithstanding, nothing will stick very well to the layer of oxidized plastic that covers the good plastic underneath, because the oxidation itself doesn't stick.

Reply to
SteveBell

OK, I lied. I just got home and checked the product.

It was the Rust-Oleum Specialty Paint For Plastic, not the Krylon Fusion.

Prep instructions were followed: For age or weathered surfaces...clean with soap & water, rinse and let dry. (The set was at least 2 years old, living on the deck the whole time.)

Dry & Recoat instructions were followed: Standard spray paint times...to touch in 20 - 30 minutes, to handle in

1 hour, fully dry in 24 hours. Second coat within 1 hour or after 48.

There is a note that says "Maximum paint adhesion and durability is achieved in 5 -7 days." Nothing about not using it or keeping it inside during this time period. In any case, as I said, the paint lasted for a full summer season - not every day use by any means, and not for anything other than reading the paper and having a snack on the deck.

It was during the spring clean-up that I noticed the paint was chipping, except for the one chair where I knocked the ice off during the winter and the paint came with it.

The can doesn't say it, but perhaps the painted surfaces are not meant to be left out for the winter.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

See my earlier post about using the Rust-Oleum product, not the Krylon product. My mistake.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are obviously some out there, because you can buy vinyl windows painted on the outside, as well as painted on the inside, or painted both sides, from some companies.

I believe Krylon makes a compatible producr. So does Plasticote. Colours will be limitted.

Automotive finish with the "flexane" adittive used on urethane bumpers should also work, but preparation is important and critical.

Reply to
clare

Another product just came to mind. A lot of the third generation latex exterior house paints are "Alkyd Modified" and work extremely well on both aluminum and vinyl siding.

Reply to
clare