Is Agent Gibbs a Neander?

Have any of you been watching the TV show "Navy NCIS"? On three episodes, Agent Gibbs (Mark Harmon) has been shown doing wood working. On two of them, he has been shown working on boat ribs w/ a spoke shave. On tonights episode, he was working on a tree house for the son of a dead Marine - using a hand saw to cut a 2x4. There was a bag of hand tools in the backround.

Also on tonights episode, there was a reference to him not owning any powertools.....

Reply to
Jim Laumann

I've seen every episode so far and there have been a few references to his woodworking and they've even shown him sleeping under the boat that he is building. Watched him heat a cup of coffee by sticking some type of soldering iron into it. Good show and one of the only that I've seen any reference to woodworking in. Wonder if he'll ever finish the boat?

John

Reply to
John A. Voss

You're showing your age, or lack of it. That was a soldering copper. Don't know where you would find them today but for some kinds of work, there is no beating them.

Reply to
CW

In the NBC series "American Dreams," set in Philadelphia in the mid

1960's, the father character, "Jack", spends a lot of time in the garage (sometimes with his sons) working on various projects, including a soap box derby racer.

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

'Mr.T' - GOTCHA . . . finally -

a} it's a 'TV show' - the 'idea' was to illustrate the 'character' of his 'Character'. {as an aside, I didn't see any solder on the iron . . . could have been using it for another type of operation - there is nothing to 'solder' at this point of the 'build sequence'}

b} Not in the Navy, or an officer . . . the personnel are Civilians

c} He is building an 'unusual' boat in an 'unusual' sequence. The first time you see him working, he is using a spokeshave on some very 'heavy-duty' frames. By the nature of their function, the outside of ribs DON'T have to be that 'finished' plus the 'shave was very 'light' for the job. Another LATER show, has him steaming planks . . . VERY HEAVY planks that would take a LOT of steaming {'1 hour per inch' is the ROT} and need 'two men, a small boy, and a chain 'come-along' ' to bend into place.

d} Skipping over a few other salient points . . . the entrance to the 'basement shop' is via a double flight of narrow stairs. The ribs & planking are for a 30 ft {plus} boat . . . how is he going to get the completed boat out ??

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop PS: and the conclusion ? . . . of course he is !! probably verging on Luddite, or just a way to get away from the 'conveniences' of modern life . . .

SNIP supposed to be in the Navy, and an officer, so I guess they've at least got to try to make it realistic. LOL

Reply to
Ron Magen

Couple of years ago there was a show about the "woodworker for the stars." Didn't last long. They didn't spend too much time in his shop, but what was there did show good, safe working practices. There were several nice pieces in the background, but his shop was way too clean.

Reply to
C.Groth

I got one at a yard sale for a couple of bux. works great....

Reply to
Bridger

In the movie "High Crimes", Ashley Judd's husband has a huge woodshop in an outbuilding at their San Francisco residence that gets a lot of air time.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

Real Navy coffee can reputedly eat any metal you place in it!

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

No, but he plays one on TV.

Gene