Bargain: Rolson 5m steel tape measure @ Morrisons, 97p

Same as this one Sainsbury are selling for £4.

Adrian Caspersz

Is it just me or does anyone else never consider buying DIY stuff at supermarkets?

The Rolson brand is s**te.

Reply to
ARW

Not just you.

Reply to
Huge

+!

Maplins used to sell that stuff. Now, I think they put theri own name on it,

Reply to
charles

Adrian Caspersz laid this down on his screen :

Or go to a Pound shop and you can buy the same, any day of the week.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

and Maplin are selling it for 49p

alan_m

In 1999 I got a new job. The company supplied the tools. I had my own but did use the cheap and nasty steel tape measure they gave me. The first thing it did was to cut my bloody hand wipe open. The second thing it did was to break.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Bloody hell. Next the Oxfam shop will be giving it for free.

Reply to
ARW

What did you throw it at?

Reply to
GB

It just snapped.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

They do/did a small socket set with around 40 graduated sockets in two ranges a wrench and various other bits and bobs which Maplin were flogging off for around ?4 a pop.

All in a nice fitted black plastic box.

Only the bastards who designed the box made sure the plastic "catch" would fail after a few uses. And didn't supply the rubber bands which are necessary if the whole debacle isn't to be endlessly repeated.

There's nothing better than scrabbling round on the floor under benches or tables looking for 40 odd sockets and other bits and then trying to work out which of the closely fitted holes they're supposed to fit in. Oh and the box won't close unless the ratchet is fitted with the otherwise useless blue plastic ring. This is the only instance I've ever come across where with all the other bits correctly arranged, a box still won't close properly unless an extra piece is included

No wonder they were flogging them off. And guess who bought two sets as they were such a bargain ?

And all the other bastards on other brands who design some of these these boxes to such tight tolerances - oh aren't we the clever ones - that its impossible to close them unless the plug is arranged in just the right way. Want to include some extra bits or fit a longer flex ? Forget it buster !

michael adams

michael adams

*damm*, gutted. I were robbed. Call me a lawyer, quick.
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

30 years ago I bought a socket set from a car shop and still have it. I think it cost about 40 quid, lot of money in those days. The socket set is fine, the case is utter crap - it just will not close properly. Come to think about it, I have several smaller socket sets in the garage. None of the cases close properly.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Delivery unavailable

Click & Collect unavailable

I don't think so!!

Reply to
Fredxx

Probably a female version that that had PMT

Reply to
ARW

I did know a woman who when on her period turned evil. Very evil. I just went and shagged another girl until she calmed down.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I've still got a Gedore car socket set I bought around 50 years ago - it seems as if 1968 was only yesterday - which is in a steel box and it still closes fine. There's even room for a plug socket and an extra universal joint thing as there's just a divider down the middle but with plenty of room on top. I can't even remember what I bought the latter for.

michael adams

michael adams

Can't remember the brand name on my socket set and I'm not going out to the garage in my silk dressing gown with the Firebird on the back of it to find out. I still have the wheel brace which cost me ?1 in 1971. It has never twisted and has taken a lot of hammer.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ok then, you are a lawyer!

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I get mine from Wilkinsons at about 70 - 80p. Most tapes are to fancy - all that shaping and fancy bits just get in the way. I've about a dozen scattered through the house/loft/sheds so that they can form a union with the ready-readers, SK blades etc. and disappear into a cluster where I can't find them.

Reply to
PeterC