Laser Tape Measure

I bought one of these laser measurers at WMT for $30 bucks. I took it back cause it was worthless. I expected it would have a small internal software package to allow to measure the distance between 2 fixed points (from my own "fixed point of origin). That is: it would measure the distance to one corner of a room, then to the other corner of the room (from same fixed measuring point), then it would tell me the distance between those 2 corners. Something like a simple right-triangle. No, it did nothing of the sort.

Reply to
MilkyWhy

-------------- I don't know why you expected it to do that. All of the laser tape measures I've seen only advertise that they can measure to a single point.

You're expecting it to perform and unadvertised feature? You're lucky these days if a product even does what's advertised.

Reply to
Abe

I was looking at one the other day and it said accuracy was 1/2" in 20'. Not accurate enough for me. I would have expected that a descent laser measuring device would at least have an accuracy of maybe something like

1/16" in 20'.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

On 11/26/2004 12:04 PM US(ET), NoOne N Particular took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Don't buy a cheap homeowners laser measurer, unless you just want to figure out how much paint, wallpaper, or wall board you will need to cover the wall, or how much carpeting you will need. You can get professional grade ones that are accurate to 1/16" in hundreds of feet, but you'll likely pay hundreds of dollars for them.

Reply to
willshak

$295 for a brand I didn't recognize with 1/8" accuracy and about twice that for a Lica Disto with 1/16" over 600' accuracy. Perhaps you could rent something instead of buying it?

Reply to
Ed Clarke

There is a Stanley branded 100' range laser ranger that sells for about $100 and has Leica optics / tech, which is about the least expensive unit you will find. Most anything cheaper is an ultrasonic unit with a targeting laser, not an actual laser ranger. Last I knew, Lowe's and possibly 'Depot carried the Stanley unit.

Reply to
Pete C.

Strait-Line Sonic Laser Tape

Claims accuracy of 1" at 50 feet

Sonic wave for measuring, laser pointer for targeting

Ace $21.99

Home Depot $19.99

DerbyDad03

There is an app for that.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I use this for walking. It might be close enough. I tried use it to get the sq ft for my house. I was only off by about 600 sq ft. :)

Metspitzer

Most if not all of the ones you are talking about just use a laser for aiming, actually they are ultrasonic devices.

Jimmie

Reply to
Steve B

Most if not all of the ones you are talking about just use a laser for aiming, actually they are ultrasonic devices.

Jimmie

Most of all, just reread the question. I know how they work. I was asking if anyone had a preferred brand. If I were to use a laser measuring device, I know that those can measure the distance from here to the moon. Within .0001", that is. I did not figure nor expect a $25 device to do that. Unless you know of one, and then I would be interested.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Most of all, Steve, let's be reasonable.

Your OP does in fact say "I need to buy another *laser* tape measure."

As you seem to know, what you are actually asking for is a *sonic* tape measure, perhaps with a laser pointer.

Even though you did include a price range, you are leaving it up to the readers to make 1 of 2 assumptions:

1 - You actually meant that you need to buy another sonic tape measure. 2 - You think that even at the $25 price point they are really laser tape measures.

You can't blame anyone if they make assumption #2, since you used the word laser in your post and laser tape measures really do exist.

Maybe you can't get one at a $25 price point, but you can get them for under $100, so it's not unreasonable for a reader to assume that you don't know the difference.

All I'm saying is that your use of the term "laser tape measure" left your post subject to different interpretations.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Most of all, what I noticed was a total lack of reading comprehension, or a response to any of the VERY simple questions posed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

One important thing seems not to be specified. What's the beamwidth? At 50', you might want to worry about how big the target needs to be and how it discriminates multiple reflections.

Reply to
mike

As I noted, there is a Stanley branded *laser* range available that has a 100' range, 1/8" accuracy, uses a 9V battery, has Leica optics/tech and can be found at Lowe's for ~$100. Far superior to any of the ultrasonic units at only a modest increase in price.

Reply to
Pete C.

Most of the time, it is block walls or buildings.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If you are that smart why not just google the info you want?

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Every time he typed in his question he used the word laser and got pissed at his computer for not cooperating.

RicodJour

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:08:08 -0800, "Steve B" wrote Re Re: Laser Tape Measure:

No, your OP asked for recs for a LASER device in a price range that is not possible for laser devices. Your subsequent posts seem to be accept recs for sonic devices.

Your simple OP question was incorrectly worded.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Caesar,

I tried that approach but Steve doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that his use of the term "laser" is what started this whole "most of all" arc.

Most of all, I think it's just stubbornness on Steve's part to acknowledge that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03