Powerfix sonic tape measure

Bought a "Powerfix 5 in 1 multi-function detector with laser KH3236 IAN

30295" a while back because I have always fancied a boys toy to measure rooms etc. as used by estate agents, architects and others.

Trying it in anger for the first time, and it doesn't seem to be able to read distances accurately above about 3m.

Our kitchen is about 21 feet long and if I start at the inside end and read off the wall, walking backwards, it seems to scale up O.K. for about 3 metres then starts to go down again before going up again. Reading is off a papered wall painted with emulsion. I can see where the measure is aimed because of the red mark on the wall from the laser.

Not a lot of good IMHO.

So can anyone recommend a good and reasonably cheap tapeless tape measure which works over long distances??

From reading the online manual downloaded from

I am assuming that the problem is the fan out of the sonic measuring beam, which must be hitting objects (perhaps including walls etc.) instead of the end wall.

Structural enginees had something which would read between the spindles on the staircase from about 18 feet away.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

about the cheapest you'll get that actually works - I have it's slightly bigger sister.

Sonic is pretty much a waste of time IMO.

Worth trying ebay for second hand Distos too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Into the instant divorce price range :-( More fairly, it is in the price range where if I was to spend that amount I would have a list of stuff further up the priority list. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I've got the bottom of the range bosch pro model (DL50?) - sterling accuracy up to 12m, AFAICT error is < 1mm.

Reply to
dom

That's what my college recommend and another friend who is a civil engineer :-)

gremlin_95

As The Master pointed out to The Doctor, why would you want a sonic screwdriver when you could have laser...

I can do you any two of those ;-)

From reading the online manual downloaded from

More than likely

See above... the laser on a sonic device is a rough indication of where it is pointing. On a laser one, that is the point you are measuring the distance to.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just to be clear, I take a reading, walk a pace backwards, pause, take another reading etc. Also the instructions say that you can move the unit whilst reading - e.g. wave it gently from side to side to make sure you get the best reading.

Reply to
David WE Roberts