Wago-things

I have a love-hate relationship with these.

The connectors are wonderful and I love them to bits.

The boxes, not as much. I can never get all the bloody wiring back in the box and get the lid to snap on without doing them some violence.

Is there a trick to it that I haven't yet fathomed?

Reply to
Huge

Have you tried swearing at it?

Wago boxes are of course a waste of space.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, don't use them! :-)

I don't think 'wago box' is from the same stable as 'wago connector' though I may be wrong. I always find that: 1 - they're too big and 2

- I want the wires to come out of opposite ends.

Reply to
Chris Green

I think the boxes were originally made by an independent company, but I assume they were bought out by Wago a couple of years ago ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Always works for me. I can do it in French too.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Oh, yes.

But *so* much easier than junction boxes.

Reply to
Huge

They are certainly not as easy to use, but as long as you don't have too many cables and you apply enough force, they do work. The theory is that they save time by having built-in strain relief. There is another type of Wago box for "in-line" type connections which is a bit easier to use, but you have to use cable ties for strain relief.

Reply to
newshound

Err, yes they are!

I have the opposite experience.

Good point.

Reply to
Huge

You're doing better than me if you get to that point without having a fight to get the cables in the slots. I sometimes end up trimming the rubber seals.

As for getting the lid shut, I tell myself "face it, you're now an *old* wimp" and reach for the G-clamps.

Reply to
Robin

Yes - I prefer Wiska boxes instead - bit more space, nice screw down lid, slighty piable (= shockproof) and you can use glands for strain relief if required (TLC do T+E flat glands)

The only con is they do not poke through little holes like the Wagoboxes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its a bit like when you dig a hole, you always have more earth left than will go back in it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yep. I closed the one yesterday with Mole Grips.

Reply to
Huge

They look good. I shall try those next time, instead.

Reply to
Huge

Are you aware of MF junction boxes?

eg

or

Assuming that you are not wiring up a lot of wires then these might suit you.

Failing that go for Tim's adaptable box and some stuffing glands suggestion. I prefer the boxes you have to drill out yourself - that way I can use 25mm and 32mm stuffing glands and ram a load of cables in if I need to.

Reply to
ARW

That's 'cos of the dead body you put in the hole first ;)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks muchly, y'all. I shall buy no more Wagoboxes.

Reply to
Huge

Do you mean these mini gel boxes

or the larger, more conventional ones.

I can't immediately see how the mini gel ones work.

Reply to
newshound

No - these general purpose ones:

As Adam says, there are a multitude of enclosures (TLC have most of the well known ones). Wiska have the convenience of screwing a gland or conduit adaptor straight into the pre threaded holes, or you can jusut puncture the membrane and poke a cable through (cable to be clipped close as per old style round JBs)

You could just as well use a surface mount backbox and blanking plate (and it is done).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I like them most of the time, but it would be better if either side of the box could fit on the mounting pin, & if they made a bigger version.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Those look useful --- thanks.

Reply to