Wago-things

I have a love-hate relationship with these.
The connectors are wonderful and I love them to bits.
The boxes, not as much. I can never get all the bloody wiring back in the box and get the lid to snap on without doing them some violence.
Is there a trick to it that I haven't yet fathomed?
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

On 25/02/2018 18:50, Huge wrote:

Have you tried swearing at it?
Wago boxes are of course a waste of space.
--
Adam

On 25/02/18 19:06, ARW wrote:

Always works for me. I can do it in French too.
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Oh, yes.

But *so* much easier than junction boxes.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

On 25/02/2018 20:27, Huge wrote:

Are you aware of MF junction boxes?
eg https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html or https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html
Assuming that you are not wiring up a lot of wires then these might suit you.
Failing that go for Tim's adaptable box and some stuffing glands suggestion. I prefer the boxes you have to drill out yourself - that way I can use 25mm and 32mm stuffing glands and ram a load of cables in if I need to.
--
Adam

Thanks muchly, y'all. I shall buy no more Wagoboxes.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 57th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 2018-02-26, ARW wrote:

Those look useful --- thanks.

Yes, don't use them! :-)
I don't think 'wago box' is from the same stable as 'wago connector' though I may be wrong. I always find that: 1 - they're too big and 2 - I want the wires to come out of opposite ends.
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green wrote:

I think the boxes were originally made by an independent company, but I assume they were bought out by Wago a couple of years ago ...

Err, yes they are!

I have the opposite experience.

Good point.

On 2018-02-25, Chris Green wrote:

I like them most of the time, but it would be better if either side of the box could fit on the mounting pin, & if they made a bigger version.
On 25/02/2018 18:50, Huge wrote:

They are certainly not as easy to use, but as long as you don't have too many cables and you apply enough force, they do work. The theory is that they save time by having built-in strain relief. There is another type of Wago box for "in-line" type connections which is a bit easier to use, but you have to use cable ties for strain relief.
On 25/02/2018 18:50, Huge wrote:

You're doing better than me if you get to that point without having a fight to get the cables in the slots. I sometimes end up trimming the rubber seals.
As for getting the lid shut, I tell myself "face it, you're now an *old* wimp" and reach for the G-clamps.
--
Robin

Yep. I closed the one yesterday with Mole Grips.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 57th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 25/02/18 18:50, Huge wrote:

Yes - I prefer Wiska boxes instead - bit more space, nice screw down lid, slighty piable (= shockproof) and you can use glands for strain relief if required (TLC do T+E flat glands)
The only con is they do not poke through little holes like the Wagoboxes.

They look good. I shall try those next time, instead.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 57th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 25/02/2018 21:11, Tim Watts wrote:

Do you mean these mini gel boxes
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Wiska/Wago/index.html
or the larger, more conventional ones.
I can't immediately see how the mini gel ones work.
On 26/02/18 22:12, newshound wrote:

No - these general purpose ones:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Wiska/Junction_Boxes/index.html
As Adam says, there are a multitude of enclosures (TLC have most of the well known ones). Wiska have the convenience of screwing a gland or conduit adaptor straight into the pre threaded holes, or you can jusut puncture the membrane and poke a cable through (cable to be clipped close as per old style round JBs)
You could just as well use a surface mount backbox and blanking plate (and it is done).
Its a bit like when you dig a hole, you always have more earth left than will go back in it. Brian
--
----- -
On 26/02/2018 09:41, Brian Gaff wrote:

That's 'cos of the dead body you put in the hole first ;)
SteveW