No earth terminal in light switch or back box ?

I'm wiring in new bedroom lights : there is no earth tab in the light switch or plastic back box.

Is it OK to just cut the earth wire off, or should I get a back box with an earth terminal and throw away all back boxes without earth terminals?

I will eventually attempt to get it inspected and passed under Part P 17 or 17A3

thanks [george]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Stick it in a Wago or a single section of terminal strip so that it can be used if the plate is ever changed to metal.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was going to say what is the earth in at the moment then, just floating about? Ugh. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Sleeve the earth and terminate into a piece of strip connector.

Reply to
ARW

Yes. You or others may well want to fit metal switches that need an earth later on. If you must use an old box as a temporary measure where the earth isn't needed, insulate and secure the earth wire rather than cut it off. So it can be easily used later on.

I'm amazed you can be bothered.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

so best would be to replace the back box with a new metal one with an earth terminal? [g]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

No - that is unnecessary.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No.

Just sleeve it and terminate it in a loose terminal (wago / chock block etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

No need. The only requirement is to not have a bare wire flapping about. Once its sleeved and terminated, it poses no risk, but is still available for use if required later.

Reply to
John Rumm