No earth to light switch, so sinking a plastic surface back box in a wall?

I've discovered that the wiring to a light switch is in 2 core (i.e. no earth) so the metal back box was unearthed. Getting an earth to it would be a royal pain so I've removed the metal back box and plan to sink a surface box so the back of the switch is in an insulated enclosure and there's no chance of the screws making contact with a live wire if a wire broke. What's the opinion of the jury? Any alternative solutions?

Reply to
nothanks

Andy Burns

Unless you know of a good reason why the earth has not been installed, I would treat the discovery as an invitation for a full wiring inspection.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

And after a full and legal trial the only option in most cases is a rewire.

Earthing of lighting circuits became a requirement in 1966.

Reply to
ARW

Get some plastic screws instead? If you really are that concerned. But don't use any type of metal plate switch or dimmer that must be earthed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really - wiring from the time when an earth on lighting circuits wasn't mandatory could well be still in perfect condition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but if the wiring is sound there's no need for a re-wire. As I slowly go through the rooms (it's not a small house) I'm sorting out the problems as I find them. I've just found a better solution to this particular problem. There's a light switch in the adjacent room, almost exactly behind the switch that's bothering me, and this has an earth. They are on the same lighting circuit so an earth wire through the wall and all is well.

Reply to
nothanks

I've just found a better solution to this particular problem. There's a light switch in the adjacent room, almost exactly behind the switch that's bothering me, and this has an earth. They are on the same lighting circuit so an earth wire through the wall and all is well.

Reply to
nothanks

I wanted to solve the problem rather than masking it with plastic screws that someone might replace in the future.

Reply to
nothanks

Does it go anywhere :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Do check the earth is connected to earth, though. In the days when earths weren't mandatory but TW&E was around, you'd often fine it connected at one end, but not the other...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are concerned about what future owners (or whatever) might do, best get absolutely everything checked out and up to the latest spec. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless of course it's old enough to have been installed before earth/CPC was required for lighting.

Reply to
Chris Green

Are you / have you upgraded the CU with a 17th edition / all RCBO style setup? If so, then the addition of a suitable warning label would be adequate IMHO.

See the section on reducing risk here:

John Rumm

A very good point, but I had checked and there *is* continuity.

Reply to
nothanks

It's been the plan to change the CU for the last 12 months, first it was too cold in the roof space, then I was too busy, then it was too hot, now I'm too busy, soon it will be too cold. I need to man-up! :-)

I don't think it will be fully RCBO because there are lots of circuits and (when I last looked) RCBOs are still quite expensive. Ref earlier discussions, several things can be combined onto a single RCD so there will be a mix of RCBOs and RCD+(n)MCBs.

Reply to
nothanks

Yes (fortunately)

Reply to
nothanks

The thrust of what I was getting at was if the lighting circuit in question ends up with RCD protection at <= 30mA trip threshold, then you can "get away" with proper labelling and making sure no Class I switches and luminaires are in use. Its not as "good" a solution as a re-wire, but sometimes that is not realistic.

Reply to
John Rumm

Chuckle, I well recall a strange thing before this house was rewired in the

70s, when stripping off some wallpaper somebody had earthed a box by a piece of copper tap up the wall to a copper water pip. This was located in between floors. Highly dodgy, but then things of this kind were done back in the 60s and before I'm sure. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hmm, well good, I think. However I remember my Dad back in the 50s making his own wall lights with two core just buried a tiny bit in the plaster of the back room walls and the lights were made of hardboard with a toggle switch of the kind that used to be fitted to radios, ie the solderable kind with a metal toggle. I always did get a tingle off of those but I'm still here! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff