Wiring a light switch

I've always wondered when wiring a brass light switch whether it is recommended (i.e. safer) to connect the earth to the back box or to the earth connector on the back of the switch.

I always use the backbox, but does it actually matter ?

Just curious

Thanks

-- JohnB

Reply to
JohnB

When you remove the switch plate and hold it in your hand, just ask yourself where the earth conductor is. Once you've removed the retaining screws and taken the switch plate away from the box, it still has the live connection to it, so it is not actually in contact with anything but your body if it shows a fault. OUCH !!!

Both the metal back box and the switch plate should be bonded together with earth by using a separate piece of wire to join them. That is the proper, and safest, way it should be done.

Reply to
BigWallop

Mmmm yes excellent point ! I almost always switch off at the mains before taking a switch off. But i'll earth the switch plate on the next one - and cross to the backbox too.

Cheers

-- JohnB

Reply to
JohnB