Different plasterboard fixings

Never noticed these before, probably above my "buy some in case I need them" price, considering they must cost sod all to make ...
<
https://youtu.be/qA6p8FJcBRA

https://youtu.be/qA6p8FJcBRA
<https://screwfix.com/p/bladefixer/2804x
On 25/02/2018 06:23, Andy Burns wrote:

Could be worth thinking about if the back of the plasterboard is accessible. Can't think how they'd work on dot/dab. And I wouldn't fancy fixing a heavy radiator to them.
--
Cheers, Rob

The video ends with someone hanging a radiator on one. My reaction was “now fill it with water”.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk

On 25/02/2018 08:40, RJH wrote:

They also claim in the video that it works with lath and plaster! When I drill into lath and plaster I usually hit the lath. Even pushing it in between the laths I'm not sure that the back metal bit would necessarily bend towards the wall - it will hit a knob of hard plaster and possibly be deflected upwards.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 25/02/2018 08:40, RJH wrote:

You would not need them for dot and dab!
--

Adam

On Sunday, 25 February 2018 06:23:58 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

Supports a quarter of a ton??????

Maybe until a kid starts to waggle it
On 25/02/18 06:23, Andy Burns wrote:

I prefer these:
http://www.gripitfixings.co.uk/
Ultimately, the fixing is only as strong as the PB, but these do work very well.
On Sunday, 25 February 2018 12:35:11 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

That links to a bunch of different fixings, not one

Oh sorry - they seem to have new products. I meant these:
http://www.gripitfixings.co.uk/gripit-plasterboard-fixing/
Tim Watts wrote:

Those were also above my "buy some in case" price, but eventually I needed some ...
On 25/02/18 06:23, Andy Burns wrote:

I'd say they would be OK for something that has their centre of mass close to the wall, but anything further out might begin a rip of the plasterboard neatly scored by the metalwork, especially if the screws are overtightened to crush the plaster within.
I'd prefer the GripIts. Round holes are less likely to grow than square?
--
Adrian C

Having spent a couple of years sitting beneath a couple of tonnes of manuals on shelves held up by Spur shelving fastened to a plasterboard wall, I've always been impressed by how much weight it can support.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

On 25/02/2018 15:02, Huge wrote:

Are you sure the uprights aren't screwed to the studs?
On Sunday, 25 February 2018 15:49:04 UTC, newshound wrote:

if not he's going to suddenly stop posting
NT

You wouldn't be able to get out of the way in time if the whole lot suddenly became detached though.
On 25/02/18 14:31, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

And the load is nicely transferred to the PB with good pullout resistance.