tape measure recommendations

Hi,

My tape measure has broken so I am in the market for a new one. Are they all much the same or are some better than others? I think I read a post here about the Fat Max measure being particularly rigid. It can be a nuisance if you are trying to measure something long without a helper and the tape keeps collapsing in the middle. Is the Fat Max (or any other make) particularly good in this resisting this?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Fred

Couple of gotchas I found:

1) It can be hard on this side of the Pond to get a tape measure that shows both inches and centimetres, and I find both useful depending on task. Maybe the UK isn't cursed in that regard - or maybe most of the ones you get there are cm only these days :-)

2) Check on the depth and shape of the tape body - lots of them are goofy shapes (the backs aren't flat or at 90 degrees to the base) or strange sizes, and once in a while it is useful to measure from the back of the tape body (my current Stanley one is 3" exactly)

I just checked mine (it happened to be on the desk next to the PC :-) and it'll do over 5' horizontally with no sagging, and just over 8' before it collapses. Of course that's without hooking something and pulling it tight - if I do that it'll run the whole 25' with very little deflection.

The tape's exactly 1" wide if I flatten its natural curve.

I keep meaning to get an electronic one for doing really long measurements...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Interestingly, the left handed tape measure I have, which is marked in inches and cm, is American ...

Reply to
Huge

I have one where you press the button to release the tape rather than to lock it - I find it a lot more user-friendly but YMMV.

Reply to
mike

Stanley are mostly a bit rubbish as a brand these days but the Fatmax tapes are pretty good. Just tested my 8m one and it goes to about

4.2m - 4.5m before 'snapping'. There's obviously a bit of an arc at that length, but you can fish for a grip and pull it tight.

I think Fisch etc do equivalents (may even have been copied) - not tried them but have no reason to think they wouldn't be at least as good.

Reply to
Bolted

I think my favourite is a Rabone Chesterman 'Supalok' SK35, nominally

12' in length. Although it 'collapses' at only some 30" it's very light and compact and pushes along a surface easily to hook on to something. The hook at the end slides easily for inside or outside measurements. Sadly it's made in France, and it's body length is metric, viz 70mm, although I never rely on measuring that way.

I once had a bog-standard yellow Stanley tape-measure thingy, but could I hell find it - I searched the world for it, and in the end bought this Rabone jobby at a builders' merchant's emporium. Getting back into the car I chucked it into the door pocket where it bashed into - the old Stanley one...

I must have four or five tape measures (or six if I count the one marked in hands (!)), but I'm very lucky if I can find any of them when I actually want to measure something. It's a bit like Stanley knives.

Hmm - 'Stanley' seems to be a common factor here... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In my case hunting for the tape measure and the pencil takes more time than the rest of the job combined. I wish I had the type of ears that you could keep a pencil tucked behind, but it always falls out

Reply to
stuart noble

on 06/03/2010, stuart noble supposed :

The problem resolves itself, once you start to wear glasses - you just tuck the pencil between the side of the frame and your temple :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think you might be on to something here Frank.

Maybe Stanley achieved their dominant market share by including a secret 'cloaking device' into knives & tapes?

As these products were copied by competitors, they accidentally included it into the design without knowing its true function.

The truth is out there......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

like many I guess .. I have had a wide range of these .. and at any one time have about 4 on the go .... one for bricking, one for wood work etc.

I would have to admit that the best of the bunch is the in/cm 1" wide 8m long Stanley Fat Max ....

Reply to
Rick Hughes

agree on that... I had 2 Stanley Phillips screwdrivers .. both relatively new, and on both the heads snapped off when doing up screws. (yes they were Phillips screws) Older Stanley screwdrivers (mine are at least 40 years old) still work fine .... assume either cheaper steel or they have forget how to harden & temper.

I would guess they now subcontract to off-shore factories.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Glasses would be something else I won't be able to find :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

It is. I use one when building decking. I think Stanley say it will do 11' without collapsing.

The Medway Handyman

I went to Screwfix to order one based on all the recommendations here, ouch, twenty pounds compared to four pounds for their own brand. Whilst I realise you get what you pay for and I don't mind paying a bit more for a better one, four times as much seems a bit steep. How do they justify the cost?

Reply to
Fred

They don't need to. They can charge what they like.

It's simple business. If you don't want to pay the price go elsewhere (or do without!).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Worth the 20 quid - if you do work that needs that much horizontal standout.

Otherwise my favourite is a Makita(?) promo freebie. This is because it has a lock that's a _sideways_ press button and that doesn't fly off if you push on the end of the tape.

Otherwise anything that's cheap and a lurid colour to stop you losing it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm on my second FatMax.

If I lose or damage this one, I'll buy a third.

Reply to
Andy Dingley