Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

I have been looking for a tape (say 16 or 25 ft) in tenths of an inch. I can't find that. The reason I am interested is that that would allow me to use english units and not have to screw around with fractions. THAT is my major concern. I don't care if the standard is metric or english, I just don't want to have to deal with fractions. For someone that is not working with the larger measurements such as meters and kilometers, that would solve most of the problems. I can get micrometers, dial indicators and scales in tenths, albeit not in a good variety.
I found that Lee Valley has a tape in tenths and it is OK, but I would rather have one from Fastcap. they have nice, high quality, durable products. Lee Valley has a left to right and a right to left reading tape, but you have to buy both. Fastcap usually has several features like this in one tape.
eganders wrote:

Then you haven't looked much...first look (Lufkin) found for a partial listing...
LFK2312D     12' x 3/4'' Feet, Inches, 10ths     Each     $15.49 LFKHV1425D     25' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths     Each     $16.49 LFK2325D     25' x 3/4'' Feet, 10ths      Each     $20.95 LFK2133D     33' x 1'' Feet, Inches, 10ths     Each     $24.49 LFKHV1325D     25' x 1'' Feet, 10ths      Each     $15.49 LFKHV1034DM     4M/13' Metric, 10ths      Each     $10.95 LFKHV1048DM     8M/26' Metric, 10ths      Each     $16.49 LFKHV1433DM     10M/33' Metric, 10ths     Each     $18.49
Dual-scale, centering, adhesive or other are undoubtedly somewhat less common but can't imagine there's hardly anything you can think of that isn't available...
dpb wrote:

Hey, What can I say. I have no excuse, but this is why I love newsgroups.
replying to dpb, Darian O Cork wrote: Most are tenths of a feet. Looking for tenths of an inch. Stanley has one 33-272 but its standout sucks. Would like to find a better standout. I have to use tenths for engineer specs in our technical work orders and would like a better one.
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 22:14:02 GMT, Darian O Cork

Try US Tape /Protape engineers tapes. or the p2000 series Lufkin, (or any Lufkin engineer's tape) - or thr Starret Exact Plus line.
The secret is to look for an "engineer's tape"
On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 9:56:41 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

"The only measurement system that's exactly as accurate as you are."
Priceless!

Nope, it's priced. But don't believe the $7.50, when you click that you get taken to the real page, where it costs $8.95.
Elijah ------ now, a wide tape measure with a blank area for story marks ...
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 18:59:01 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded

It is an old April first item.

I know. And I read the bit where it says:
This year, you really can order our April Fool's Day product -- just click on the "add to cart" button in the price line below to proceed. Of course, there aren't really three models, as a single Precision Story Tape is capable of handling a mix of inches, centimeters, and cubits. It makes an excellent gift for those who have everything...
But the price changes between the "April 1st" view and the "you can actually buy this" view.
Elijah ------ doesn't want a blank tape measure
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 23:07:46 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded

Well you have go into one of the Lee Valley store to pick it up. One might wonder what stories are among the employees.
On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 3:14:05 PM UTC-7, Darian O Cork wrote:

Well, it might be time for you to get a metric tape and remember to label all your measurement notes with units. Conversion is an easy solution.

You realize that a tape measure in 10ths of an inch is just another fraction?

I know of a few companies that translate all of their customer specifications to 16ths to avoid confusion. You won't find a box made 12 1/2", but it will be 12 8/16" Seems just as awkward at times.
wrote in message

I guess some people have a hard time with simple math.
wrote in message

I work to the nearest 1/8. A helper does the cutting so I call out 12 4 and they cut it. Many helpers don't understand fractions or tape measures. I would love to have a tape marked in 8ths. Maybe I could switch to tenths. I think I'll buy a couple and see.
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:05:39 -0700, "Pat"
You have helpers that can't understand 3/8 vs. 3/4? <G>

And if they can't, then they are not helpers. They are hinderers. Jim
Pat,
I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with sound levels on a construction site. We tend to use the "3 and 7" or the "22 and 6" pattern. It can even be done with hand signals in extreme situations.
I had not considered going to tenths, but I do use them outdoors on long tapes and shooting grade. It is hard for some of my guys to shift gears. Maybe we should all move to tenths, but it means lots of new tape measures. It might be more simple to force them to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.
______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net
wrote in message

Yes, indeed (grew up in Holland, but here in the US since '69). I always have to mentally translate 1/8" into ~3 mm. That visualizes much easier.
--
Best regards
Han