lazy susan bearing

Hi,

I have been lurking for a while now, picking up lots of useful stuff whilst building a kitchen using Jim Tolpins book. I'm approaching the home straight now - after a three month diversion learning how to square up 130 pieces of oak (

) - and am fitting out the inside of the cupboards.

I have made some wooden carousels to go in some of the corner cupboards and have bought some lazy susan bearings to get them to spin.

I have bought some of these

and can't work out how to fit them. I have 60cm diameter circles of wood that are mounted on shelves running from the front to the back of the cupboard. But ...

if I screw the bearings to the circles of wood then I can't get at the screw holes on the bottom of the bearing to fit them to the shelf. All I can think of is a bolt running from the underneath of the shelf - but theres not a lot of room for the nut or drilling holes in the circles of wood to allow access to the holes on the bootom bearing plate.

I can't help thinking there is an easier way but don't know what. The bearing plates are pressed together and won't come apart.

TIA

Flash Gorman. No job too small. Plenty too big. Will write for food.

Reply to
flash

It looks like the shelves have already been installed and that you do not have easy access to the bottom side of at least some of the shelves. If so then I recommend the following procedure:

Mount a bearing to the bottom of a circle of wood. Then drill a hole in the circle of wood so that the hole lines up with the mounting holes in the bottom of the swivel bearing. The hole needs to be large enough so that the screws which will be used to attach the bottom mounting to the shelf can fit through the hole. Insert a screw for the bottom mounting plate through the hole and drive it into the shelf. Rotate the circle of wood and install each of the remaining screws. Finally, fill the hole with a wood plug to match the circle of wood.

If you do have access to the bottom of the shelves, then the procedure above can be used except that the hole is drilled into the shelf instead of the circle of wood. This eliminates the appearance problem caused by the presence of the wood plug.

Reply to
Dan Coby