Multiple holes in load bearing studs

I want to know the code for boring holes in 2x4 studs in a load bearing wall.

I have found the reference that says holes can be up to 40% of a the stud's depth in a load bearing wall, 60% in a non-load bearing wall, but is there any issue on multiple holes? Is there any code that says how far apart holes must be or how many are allowed? Can you make swiss cheeze of a stud and stay within code as long as they all pass the 40% rule?

For example, if a wall will contain 2 water pipes, 110v romex, CAT-5e and coax, with the CAT-5e & coax can go through the same hole, that makes 4 holes.

Thank you in advance,

parkerea

Reply to
parkerea

Wiring holes are much smaller than 40%. If you space the holes 15 or

20 diameters (for small holes) away from each other there will be no appreciable difference in strength. R
Reply to
RicodJour

Reply to
Glenn

Thank you for your response. However, I am more concerned with code than with actual strength. Although the wall in question is officially load bearing, the load is quite modest -- single story with open beam ceiling, and a significant portion of the roof weight is taken by the central beam.

We are planning a significant addition to our house. My plan here is to run CAT-5e through the walls while they are still open. According to my plan, on at least 1 wall I intend to run under a low window where there is about 2' of space between the floor & window. There will be at least 3 things running through that space: existing Romex, new CAT-5e, and a new flex conduit (which will be empty, put there "just in case" something like fiber optics for the home becomes reality the future). That means there will be less than

6" between each, depending on where the Romex is.

Since I am the homeowner, not a knowledgeable contractor, I want to be sure I don't violate code and cause problems. I confirmed with the Dept of Public Works building office that I don't need a permit for the low voltage stuff as long as nothing is hard wired into the a/c line. However, I just want to be sure that I don't violate any framing code and cause headaches for myself.

By the way, yes, I understand that the 40% is much larger than needed for wiring. From what I understand, a 7/8" hole is typical, leaving about 1-1/4" of stud on each side so you don't need nail stops.

Thanks again,

parkerea

Reply to
parkerea

Make the holes no larger than necessary if you're concerned. 3/4" is large enough for everything except the flex conduit. Electrician's like to drill larger holes as it makes it easier to pull the wire. Offset the holes a little bit so they don't line up down the middle of the stud. Other than that - don't worry about it.

RicodJour