Choices for load bearing columns?

No offence intended

What the hell is a partial load bearing wall?

My building experience has never heard of such a thing. Either it is or it is not. I have trouble visualizing how one post/column is going to carry several beams.

Reply to
SQLit

As Mr. Heehan says, a column can be anything that transfers load to the next level. As SQLit notes, the loads above need to be collected by a beam that tnen transferes them to the column which must rest on something that transfers the loads to the gorund.

The column could be a couple of 2x4 or a 4x4 or a pipe column or masonry or concrete as long as the load path is taken care of.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

I'm having a closet removed that is a partial load bearing wall for some of the ceiling beams...my contractor is going to install a column to support it. I can't seem to find any good websites for an interior column to check out what they look like. anyone?

Reply to
Fake name goes here

They look like a pole or pipe. They go from the floor to the beams. Anything else I can help with?

Oh, it is also possible to cover the column. I have some hidden in walls, I have one that was boxed in with wood and stained. You can buy half pieces of covering in lumber yards and home centers. They come in different designs from plain to ornate Roman or Grecian columns. You can make anything with a little imagination.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

sorry...I'm not an architect. The corner of the closet was supporting the end of a rather large beam that ended at that corner. We didn't know it was there as my house is older and had a major renovation in the

1960's with a second floor added. Anyway...I need a column and am looking for something that will look good.
Reply to
Fake name goes here

I assume you are planning to remove part of a load bearing wall?

In any case the interior columns may be built up of wood or be metal. The beam between the two or more columns may be metal or wood. The choice would depend on many factors.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

All these responses and not a single answer.

Try

Fake name goes here wrote:

Reply to
William Brown