Another thing about electric cars

I usually remember to put my trousers on before getting in the car

Reply to
tim...

And a windscreen washer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My first vehicle was unheated

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine* had sufficient gaps through to the engine compartment that heating was continuous, 24/7/365!

*MG TC 1949. One of the very last off the production line and great fun.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

I used to run mine with the engine cover off in winter, but the NOISE Bedford CA Mk II

lovely cars.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Donning apparel can help with this problem..

Reply to
Spike

On my first car teh windscreen washer was operated by pressing, with my foot, a rubber bulb situated next to the clutch pedal. I could guarantee that on every winter's morning the water in the bulb would be frozen solid.

Reply to
alan_m

I presume it didn't help that few people used any antifreeze/cleaning additive in the windscreen washer water in the days of manual rubber bulbs/pumps.

How many times did you end up accidentally washing the windscreen when you changed gear? ;-) I heard of a bus driver who suddenly discovered that he'd been raising or dipping his headlight beam, instead of pressing the clutch - and that evidently his ability to change gear clutchlessly was a lot better than he thought ;-)

Reply to
NY

Quite. Like lots of their advocates they live in the present while claiming to speak for the future.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I sincerely hope there is no charger on the market that damages the batteries.

I have quite a bit of experience of Li-Ion batteries. I vape, and the device I use pretty well exhausts the battery every day. It recharges in a few hours - doesn't need anything like an overnight charge. And the 18650 cell it uses is original. So has had a very long life.

I'd hope car batteries and chargers have electronics to make sure the batteries can't be abused too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You have enough chargers. One per bay if needed. It's hardly rocket science. And that charger is going to cost a great deal less than the car.

Think of it like the early days of cars. Where you got your petrol from a chemist. Supply will always keep up with demand, but usually with a lag. It's called business. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

As would modern screen washers if you use plain water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

My first car had a vacuum screen washer. With a glass reservoir. That did not like cold weather. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

On 01/12/2020 21:18, bert wrote

About as long as the queues for the toilets on the train?

Spike

Reply to
Spike

ditto wing mirror

Reply to
Andrew

£10? optional extra on the 105E Ford Anglia circa 1959?
Reply to
Andrew

People who have absolutely no engagement with all the difficult decisions that any government has to make, can always garner votes from clueless people because they never have the power to make any decisions.

Reply to
Andrew

All fast chargers shorten the life of batteries. The 1 hour fast charger I had for AA camera batteries had a little fan in the base to keep them cool while charging. EV car batteries are encased by the vehicle and cannot easily dissipate the heat. Where does it go ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The better EVs have liquid cooling for the batteries.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The car controls the charge rate so, unless the designers coc&ed-up, it's impossible to mistreat the batteries

Reply to
nothanks