and we think our housing stock is bad

they don't seem to care. The housing stock is an eye opener.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

On 06/02/2022 07:28 am, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:#

"we think our housing stock is bad"

*Some* might think that.

I don't. Especially when compared with some of the accommodation we lived in when I was a boy. Housing standards in the UK today are well beyond any comparison with what was around until well into the 1970s.

Reply to
JNugent

And not that long ago. I know someone with two young children in council provided accommodation with no bathroom and an outside toilet in the 1980s.

Reply to
Fredxx

I'd hope anything man made would improve with the passage of time.

But it will depend on what you want. Is living in a high density high rise block preferable to a traditional workmans cottage better - just because it has central heating and constant hot water? For those that can afford the bills, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

...80s...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

nice wee birds as well....Mmmmmmmm

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I know up to seven I lived in a tenement top floor flat and in the 70's and early 80's I gave grants for puting the standard amenities into such flats....even got back into the flat we rented...looked so small.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

no big deal...thousands of flats had shared stair head cludgies in the 80's

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

sorry not this one....been watching his other videos

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I have recuring dreams about living in a place like that

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

No 'rising damp' in a tower block :-)

- unless you live in the ground floor flat and someone higher up flushes nappies down the bog which then blocks the interceptor chamber outside the property and sewage then backs up and pours out of the toilet and overflows of the poor sod on the ground floor.

Reply to
Andrew

Cardboard box?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You 'ad a cardboard box? Luxury!

But our house is 300 years old. It's not noticeably better than it was in the 1970s. One of our sons is in a Victorian terrace - ditto.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

By today's standards, perhaps not all that much better.

Reply to
JNugent

I've got a novel idea. Why doesn't the government set decent standards for new house bulding? Or would that be an infringement on civil liberties for all our right wing readers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

here we go around in circles again ....was a time when a bedroom had to be 7 square meters then Maggie changed it to activity areas for bed wardrobe and chest of drawers...she said if people aren't happy that a house isn't big enough they won't buy it ....crap

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...