Rats in our housing grounds.

Hi all,

My problem is Rats!

I live in a sheltered housing complex ran by a Housing Association.

We are not far from a river, and I can see some of the rat holes in the banks.

I live in a very nice ground floor flat, that had new plastic double glazed windows fitted around a year ago, what concerns me is that they pivot from the top and swing outwards at the bottom, and there are shrubs in borders that are at window cill height below every window.

I and other residents are worried that hungry rats could come indoors via the open windows; I have known them do this at a nearby kitchen not in our complex.

If the windows were the type that tilted so they could be opened at the top instead of the bottom we would feel safer, but they do not so is there a guard that could be used at the openings or would it be reasonable to ask them to reduce the height of the shrubs?

I realise rats are a big problem; they are often by the doors if I go out at and seem braver in that they do not scatter when I appear.

Can anyone give any advice please?

Mick.

Reply to
Mick Cant

Most likely water voles actually. Nice little things.

Rats tend to hang around humans, where free meals abound.

If they really are rats, call rodent control.

A few pipes full of warfarin or equivalent laden food will see em vanish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi thanks for repling, thease are Rats they are large! As this is a big housing complex, would I be liable to pay for all the cost if I call rodent control.? Mick.

Reply to
Mick Cant

Very much doubt it. Ring up and enquire.

Reply to
Clot

The Environmental Health department of your local council should be your first call. Many Local councils will deal with them free of charge.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Mesh screen.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shape of face and length of tail.

Water vole round face; rat pointed.

Water vole has shorter tail. Sizes overlap.

Here's a good guide (with more p[points than I knew!)

Andy Champ