water filter housing stuck

Just purchased a house and tried to change the water filter. I can't budge it and I'm afraid I'm going to break a pipe or pull the support out of the wall (it's that tight). Please tell me there's a way to get this thing off without having to call a plumber. It's thanksgiving weekend.

It's a big blue 10" filter system.

Reply to
paul.magnani

Oil filter wrench?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

First step is to turn off the water. Second step is to open a water valve to let off the pressure. Now it will come off easily. Put a little Vaseline or white grease on the gasket to help it come off the next time.

It is very important to relieve the pressure. Just like opening a jar of pickles, if you break the seal, it turns easily. If not, you can actually damage the housing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin - Thanks very much. I have relieved the pressure by pushing the red pressure release button on top. Do I need to do more? It doesn't budge at all.

Reply to
paul.magnani

It may have been tightened too much.

I once (after many times replacing the carbon cartridge in past) tightened the housing too tightly. Mine has ribs on the plastic housing casing. I used (carefully) a pipe wrench as the spacing was very wide and the casing large as well and no other wrench I had would open that wide.

It did move enough to get the housing loose. I have been careful ever since to not tighten too much.

Good luck.

Morenuf

Reply to
morenuf

Are you using the proper wrench? Without it I could never get them off! It is like a big box wrench with recesses to fit all the ribs.

Have one person hold the pipes to keep them in place, and then just put your weight into the wrench. And make sure you are turning it the right direction.

Reply to
Toller

Finally got it using a bit of each of your advice. In the end a strap wrench along with a neighbors help got it off.

Lesson learned. Hand tighten only.

Thanks very much to all who replied.

Reply to
paul.magnani

replying to paul.magnani, Susan B. wrote: I also found the casing was stuck and did not realize (until your post) that there was a button to push to release pressure! Doing that made it possible to remove mine! So glad for your post - thank you!

Reply to
Susan B.

Susan, Paul had 3 posts in 2006...so he can't appreciate your thanks. Good for you though! (I won't bore you concerning his dead gerbils)

Reply to
bob_villa

replying to bob_villa, Steve S. wrote: Similar as above however still cannot loosen filter housing.. Can I / should I apply some heat to the housing area to loosen??

Reply to
Steve S.

First step is a strap wrench if you've not used one. You can try heat but I'm sure you are thinking hair dryer, not torch.

Lubricate the gasket when you put it back.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One trick is to tap the housing gently with a hammer. Hold a larger hammer on the opposite side while tapping with the smaller one. The vibration should help loosen things. Put the strap wrench Ed suggested at the base of the bowl. It won't distort the bowl which would make loosening tougher.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman