repairing plastic housing

I am trying to repair a housing for a pool pump. It split under pressure at the seam.

was thinking of epoxing the housing back together.

Do you think epoxy will withstand a 70 psi load? Afterwards I was thinking of putting in a couple of screw and reinforcing the repair. Will that be enough?

Reply to
Deodiaus

repair. Will that be enough?

I doubt it.

A pool requires lots of parts replacements. Don't fight it.

Reply to
Dan Espen

re at the seam. =A0

I was thinking of epoxing the housing back together.

the repair. =A0Will that be enough?

Can you drill some small holes and use copper or stainless stell wire to hold the pump together, and then epoxy the heck out of everything? The wire would take the tension/stress. The Epoxy would make it watertight.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I have done repairs like that. CLEAN the parts very well. Use JB weld (the

24 hour stuff, not the quick type) Add fiber glass sheet material across the crack embedded in the JB weld on inside AND outside. That adds much strength. WW
Reply to
WW

I would be inclined to say plumbers goop would work as good as anything, after it dries for a few days. Tough stuff.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I've not heard of this stuff. If you can find it online, please post a link so we can see what you mean.

.

I would be inclined to say plumbers goop would work as good as anything, after it dries for a few days. Tough stuff.

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

repair. Will that be enough?

Depends on the type of plastic. Some can be welded with heat, others will not take adhesive or epoxy at all. None I would trust with 70 psi running while I was not watching it.

What made it crack? Once repaired, what makes you think it will not crack again? If the material is old and brittle, it is junk.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

repair. Will that be enough?

Seventy psi is really not a lot of pressure but poor adhesion or brittle plastic is bound to fail again. Some polymers like polyethylene are impossible to glue but epoxy wrapped with something like a layer of fiberglass fabric will give a strong mechanical solution.

Reply to
Frank

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No.

epoxy,then use a metal patch with screws,but covered with epoxy for a better seal and more bond surface area.

One problem; epoxy takes a couple of WEEKS to FULLY cure and reach full strength.

the seam failed. that doesn't sound like a "crack".

it's worth a shot if a new pump is expensive. plus,he didn't say whether the pump is "old" or relatively new. (but out of warranty)

I'd try to find out if others have had similar seam failures in that model of pump. Maybe he can persuade the MFG to replace it at their expense. Maybe there's a hidden "extended warranty".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I'd check to see if it were still under some warranty

Test some PVC glue on the pump. If epoxy is unfamiliar to you, maybe PVC glue, with the fiberglass mesh/wrap, will work. Maybe even a screw clamp or 2 to keep it more stable, also.

Reply to
Sonny

repair. Will that be enough?

Are you attempting this repair because you can't just go buy the part? If not, my advise is to just go buy the part. My pool runs nowhere near 70 psi and when it starts the pump housing visibly balloons out and back in from the pressure wave during start up. I can't imagine a crack repair of it would last any time at all.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If you ever tried to take apart something that had used plumbers goop, you know what I mean. It's slightly flexible, so it does not crack or break loose like epoxy. It says non pressure applications, but not great for higher temps.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Not to be used on pressureized stuff. WW

Reply to
WW

Yes, actually. If the seam was the parting line of the mold it was probably a weak point. If it is a two piece unit that was gasketed closed, it would not be a seam.

The photo did not tell much of a story to be sure exactly what happened.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's what they say, but for this application I think it's best. I should have recommended marine goop. With uv protection.

There is also plumbers epoxy, but i don't know about the part about sticking to various plastics.

Plastic pump sucks.!!!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I flipped the diverter valve from "Waste" to "Backflush" without shutting down the pump. WHile doing this, the pressure inside shot up. BTW, the unit is 17 years old, so maybe the plastic has weathered.

Reply to
Deodiaus

I was thinking of fixing this a different way looking at other designs in t= he pool store. I was thinking of taking two pieces of wood plates about 2 = inches bigger than the housing and putting them on both sides (pancaking). = I would run 6 long bolts between the housing. THis would apply pressure t= o keep the crack closed. Right now, I put a couple of C clamps on it to allow the epoxy to set.

Reply to
Deodiaus

It split at the corner, not the seam.

Reply to