repairing plastic housing

Does it make sense to spend $60-100 to replace this, or should I replace the entire housing in the off season where I can buy it for cheap.

Reply to
Deodiaus

at the seam. =20

the repair. Will that be enough?

If the plastic is PVC or ABS, favor solvent weld, such as PVC pipe cement, = but it's possible the plastic has become brittle from exposure to chlorine = in the water. =20

If the plastic doesn't disolve at all when exposed to lacquer thinner or ca= rburetor/throttle body spray, it's probably acetal or polypropylene and can= 't be fixed well except by melting it with a soldering iron or woodburning = iron. The latter is better because it uses a nonstick anodized or teflon-c= oated tip. =20

Forget epoxy, unless you rough up the plastic and reinforce the epoxy with = fiberglass, as recommended by others. Even covering the whole piece with f= iberglass isn't unreasonable. =20

Reply to
larrymoencurly

It split at the corner, not the seam. see red line in

Deodiaus

down the pump. =A0WHile doing this, the pressure inside shot up.

If this is an above ground 17 yr old pool, get a new pump.

If this is a below ground pool, what the heck are you doing skimping on the repair. You can surely afford a new pump. Get a new pump.

Reply to
Sonny

You don't sound like a pool owner.

You're supposed to pour money into it like you have money to spare.

Reply to
Dan Espen

So, you're saying he sounds like a pool gardener?

Reply to
Dan Espen

Your first post said,

"It split under pressure at the seam.

".

I think the parts list that you posted showed that the part(s) you need would cost about $800 plus shipping. I would say that if you know exactly what part you need and can take it apart, then buy the part and replace it.

Or, if you feel like it, take it apart and try to fix the part using whatever trick you think may work (maybe with some kind of bracing or whatever) and see if that will work first. I think it probably won't work, but you have little to lose by trying. Then, most likely, you'll need to buy the part to fix it.

Reply to
TomR