OT: Ding dong bell...

Little boy's in the well.

but they've just rescued him, apparently, condition as yet unstated. Hope he's alive and will eventually be OK.

But what I don't understand is if this well is so narrow that no one could get down there (18 inches apparently), how was it dug in the first place?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Chris Hogg snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote

The BBC says that it has a narrow OPENING, not that its that narrow all the way down. Likely it was capped after being dug.

Reply to
Rex Jones

No idea what the story is, but wells are drilled...not dug...in may cases..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My understanding is that it got even narrower at depth.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Ah...good point. Makes sense. They're now saying he died. So sad.

Or

Chris Hogg

More likely that don't have a clue.

Reply to
Richard

That would certainly explain why he got jammed in and couldnt have just been lifted out using a rope.

Reply to
Rex Jones

Which reminds me of this; I only learned about it recently, despite growing up less than two miles from it. My brother went to school in the building that was built over it. The wellhead was under the metalwork room, and the teacher used to take the cover off and show them (it did have a safety grid). The teacher was my uncle, but but of them ever mentioned it to me!

Bob Eager

The BBC says that much more absolutely.

Rex Jones

dead

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

well well well

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

No idea what the story is? You must live a very isolated existence.

Are you a Russian or Chinese Troll?

Reply to
David

Far out!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Hogg snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net posted

The story bears a startling resemblance to the plot of the movie "Ace in the Hole".

Has anyone actually seen this child?

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

Probably an open pit originally and filled in and a brick shaft constructed them around the outside filled up to the edges of the brick shaft. I'm sure I've seen this done on a very schools film from the 1950s, when I was young.

We used to get a lot of these on the school black and white TV. Crop rotation, how steel is made etc etc. In the most part they were well done fo the children of around 9 or ten years old. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Some fifty years ago late evening was driving through morocco and jumped out of the car for a pee. took some steps forward and wemt straight down a well some ten or so metres deep. luckily no water or snakes. how can they leave a hole with no cover or wall around a well ?

Reply to
john west

In message <sto5ni$4i1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

The bore hole at the farm was lined with a steel pipe (6" maybe). The pump was at the bottom and energised by a motor driven, reciprocating wooden shaft. Borehole water was colder than the mains when it was eventually connected. Bad news for cooling milk churns.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Some 50 years ago driving through the then Yugoslavia. On the main road. Suddenly had to swerve to avoid a trench that had been dug across half the road, and left with no warning signs, no cones, no nothing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Brian Gaff (Sofa) laid this down on his screen :

The Bolton Steeple jack explained the process well (ding, dong)...

They form a circle of bricks or what ever lining, dig out below, lining drops down, they add more lining on top, then dig more out of the bottom of the well.

No doubt the deeper, narrower ones would have to be drilled and lined.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

By not leaving a cover or building a wall, obviously. Duh!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher