OT: Ding dong bell...

Unusual - the deeper you go, normally the warmer it becomes..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Not in summer.

Below ground temperatures are stable at the sort of average (UK) earth temperature of around 9°C

Until you get down several hundred feet.

"In normal continental crust a typical geothermal gradient within the first 3 to 5 kilometres (2 or 3 miles) of Earth?s surface is about 25°C/km."

So a hundred meters would be at most 2.5°C and that's a *deep* well.

Most wells are less than 50 ft. far enough to be more or less isolated from surface temperature changes but shallow enough not to get any significant geothermal heating.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bottom of a river valley. I don't suppose the pump was more than 5m down.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The real problem with *in churn* cooling was that the churns then sat out in the weather waiting for the collecting lorry.

Ours went to North London, 20 miles or so. Curious that the *unfit* returns only occurred during the summer school holiday! My mother used to use it to make soft cheese:-)

Refrigerated bulk tanks and milk tankers cured the problem.

Reply to
Tim Lamb